WP Passport hard drive issue

jsmerk

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I got a question....

Ihave a WD Passport portable HD...

When I hook it up to either my desktop or laptop it does all this clicking like iw want's to auto launch something and stays stuck in that mode. I tried reformating it on another machine but I get the same result from my desktop and laptop. IS there some kind of way to toggle something off, so it just acts like a plain old hard drive without trying to autolaunch, or whatever it's doing? Thanks.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
when you first plug it in the machine scans the drive to see what types of files you have on it,

to turn off the auto play features, open up 'my computer' when its plugged in,
right click the drive and select properties, select the 'autoplay' tab.

on this window there is a drop down list and as you look at it for the first time probably has 'music files'
currently displayed, now underneath that is a window with a title of 'actions' and you can see that there is two options, select an option to perform and prompt me each time.

now for each item listed in the list above switch it from prompt to select an action - and select take no action.
you must do this for every item listed in the drop down list.

once this is done the drive will just online and wont prompt you to do anything,
whilst im not 100% sure whether it will stop your current issue, its worth a try.

the clicking could be indicative of a dying hard drive, unfortunately external drives are for some reason less reliable than their internal bretheren so if you can get into it - i suggest making a backup asap!!

good luck.