WPA-PSK/TKIP on D-Link DWL-700AP

Dear All,

According to the UK D-Link site and the vendor brochure, the DWL-700AP
access point provides with hardware TKIP support. Buying one I
realized that there is no option in the management tool to set-up such
features. I have a European model with 2.01 firmware. Is it possible,
that the newer 2.02 firmware, available in US does indeed include
these new features already?

Due to the support site, European models must not use US firmware. Is
it true for this specific model as well? What could go wrong if I try
it? As far as I know the models of various regions use different
frequency bands for 802.11b. Could this be the reason of the problems
if I use US firmware?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Gyula

Taking a moment's reflection, Gyula Hunyor mused:

| According to the UK D-Link site and the vendor brochure, the DWL-700AP
| access point provides with hardware TKIP support. Buying one I
| realized that there is no option in the management tool to set-up such
| features. I have a European model with 2.01 firmware. Is it possible,
| that the newer 2.02 firmware, available in US does indeed include
| these new features already?

Do the current settings allow for WPA encryption? If so, it is using
TKIP by default. Since it doesn't sound like AES is supported, there is no
reason to give you an option (WPA uses TKIP or AES).

| Due to the support site, European models must not use US firmware. Is
| it true for this specific model as well? What could go wrong if I try
| it? As far as I know the models of various regions use different
| frequency bands for 802.11b. Could this be the reason of the problems
| if I use US firmware?

Best to follow the manufacturer's advice here.

"mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmail?PäM.com> wrote in message news:<GfX3d.21156$wV.2829@attbi_s54>...

> Do the current settings allow for WPA encryption? If so, it is using
> TKIP by default. Since it doesn't sound like AES is supported, there is no
> reason to give you an option (WPA uses TKIP or AES).

There is not a trace of any WPA feature in the administration menu
('Advanced'->'Performance'), although the D-Link sales info clearly
states it's availability. The authentication options available: Open,
Shared Key (simple WEP), Automatic, 802.1x (RADIUS).

Gyula

ghunyor@mail.datanet.hu (Gyula Hunyor) wrote in

> Due to the support site, European models must not use US firmware.
> Is it true for this specific model as well? What could go wrong if
> I try it? As far as I know the models of various regions use
> different frequency bands for 802.11b. Could this be the reason of
> the problems if I use US firmware?

I don't have experience of the DWL-700AP, but I have plenty of
experience using the DWL-900AP+. The same dire warnings appear about

I have encountered *no* problems loading firmware for the 'wrong'
country onto the DWL-900AP+. D-Link distribute versions on various
country sites at different times, so it is quite possible that the
most recent firmware appears on a 'foreign' site first.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.