WQHD (2560x1440) vs UHD (3840x2160)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas24

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I'm wondering whether I should get an Asus PB278Q monitor, which is a 60Hz IPS, has a 2560x1440(WQHD) display for only $699, or the Asus PB287Q which will be coming out in June, which is a 60Hz TN, and has a 3840x2160(UHD) 4K display for $799. Sure, there's the 4K IPS PQ321Q but it's $3000 more, which is way out of my budget. Is there really a difference in image quality between WQHD and UHD resolution? Is a good IPS WQHD monitor better than a budget UHD monitor? If possible, also upload image comparisons between the two resolution. Thanks.

What do you plan to do on the monitor? If you're gaming I would strongly advice against 2160p unless you have a very epic PC. Not even a GTX 780 TI will handle that well in every game.

The 1440p IPS panel will almost certainly be the better option, given that IPS panels are generally much higher quality than TN panels, and 2160p would be ridiculously hard for a PC to run in games.

Uploading images would be pointless even if I could, since you wouldn't be able to see differences in color accuracy, black level, contrast ratio, or even resolution on an inferior screen.

I see. :O
Well, I can say I'd never go for a TN panel again. Personally I'd either pay more or sacrifice resolution to go for IPS or VA.

That said, you would see an increase in clarity at 4K if you sit within a few feet of the monitor, seeing as the 1440p monitor is 27" and therefore has a PPI barely superior to a 22" 1080p monitor.

To me, the question would be whether to go 1440p IPS now, or wait for a good IPS/VA 4K monitor to release.
Your video cards are drawing perfect blacks and pure whites, and exact replicas of every color in between. An inferior panel like a TN is really just blocking you from seeing the real image quality your video cards are already reproducing.

Nicholas24

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Well, all I'm asking is: Is 2160p a huge upgrade over 1440p? Is the panel type worth sacrificing for the monitor? Besides, I'll be using the monitor mostly for gaming, not photo or video editing, so extreme color accuracy like >90% sRGB doesn't matter.

Henrik Jensen DK

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Just wanted to let you know I purchased an Asus VG248QE 24” 144Hz screen the other day and this monitor has a TN panel.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a TN panel - I find all the talk about offangle viewing being screwed severely blown out of proportion.
Either that, or there is a difference between different TN panels.
This monitor I'm looking at right now, I can tell you there are no problems whatsoever unless you're looking at it from an extreme left or right view. If you do that, sure, colors change a bit, but that's it. You can easily sit two people in front of the screen and watch it without running into this offangle viewing problem.
Edit:
The other person sitting in front of the screen will actually experience a difference in color in the far left side of the screen.
I just tested to be sure what I was saying was correct.
But using this screen just me, I'm never running into problems with the TN panel.

Out of the box the monitor was very, very bright, but once calibrated with the correct ICC profile, everything looks great.
Colors are a definite improvement on my 6½ year old Samsung 19" 930BF screen.
You can find ICC profiles for various monitors here btw.:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

If I were you I would not hesitate to get an Asus monitor with a TN panel.
But you might want to wait for that Asus ROG 27" screen that is in the shops in 2 months time or so.
It has a 1 ms. response time and is 120 or 144Hz (can't remember which)

Good luck with your purchase.

Personally with that kind of system I'd look at 3 x standard HD screens for a 3 screen surround set up. That would cost less overall and the added immersion of multi screens is well worth it for gaming. I also find multi monitors useful for work (I do allot of 3-D CAD work) as it allows you to have reference material open on one screen and the thing you're working on open in another. I can't comment on the difference between 1440 and 2160p however as I've not actually seen a 4K display in the flesh yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS