[SOLVED] Wraith Prism OR cooler master masterliquid ml240l rgb

Jul 30, 2019
Hi this is my build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cc4yw6 and I cannot decide between using the stock wraith prism cooler which comes with the 3700x or the cooler master masterliquid ml240l rgb which comes with my motherboard. I would probably use the cooler master masterliquid ml240l rgb however it is going to take over a week for msi to approve and send it and I want to get building right away? Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? Thank you

If it is free, then build with the AIO. But the prism will do just fine. You can always install it with the prism, and when the AIO comes in, then take it out and put in the AIO.

But if the AIO is not free, then I would stick with the Prism as it will do just fine.

If you overclock or value silence the aio is the way to go. Otherwise the stock cooler will do.

It really won't over clock all that much better if at all. But it will be less noisy about it.

Yeah, AIOs are not really quiet at all and Ryzen is not a great overclocker (as you said).

If low noise is what you want then go with Noctua and be done with it.

If you compare watt to watt between air and aio, the aio is most certainly quieter. The reason being is the waste heat can be spread out more evenly over a larger area. This means fans can run at a lower face velocity but still achieve the same heat transfer rate. The reason aio get loud is because someone is cranking the fans to get the extra watts cooling capacity out of them. But as power tends to exponentially go up as you overclock that extra overhead doesn't help much.

For example: I have an Corsair h60 on my older rig. It's about the same cooling wise as my cooler master hyper 212 which has a similar surface area. However it has more head room if I decide to OC my 3770k

Now on my 2400g I have a 240 aio. And that is loads quieter than the stock cooler it came with because I can crank the pump and run the fans at 50% and still stay below 80C

If you compare watt to watt between air and aio, the aio is most certainly quieter. The reason being is the waste heat can be spread out more evenly over a larger area. This means fans can run at a lower face velocity but still achieve the same heat transfer rate. The reason aio get loud is because someone is cranking the fans to get the extra watts cooling capacity out of them. But as power tends to exponentially go up as you overclock that extra overhead doesn't help much.

For example: I have an Corsair h60 on my older rig. It's about the same cooling wise as my cooler master hyper 212 which has a similar surface area. However it has more head room if I decide to OC my 3770k

Now on my 2400g I have a 240 aio. And that is loads quieter than the stock cooler it came with because I can crank the pump and run the fans at 50% and still stay below 80C

Its not that fans that make AIO's loud. It is the pump.