[SOLVED] Wraith Stealth Cooler

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I just installed a 5600X with the pre-included Wraith Stealth Cooler, until Arctic Freezer 360 arrives.

Idle temps with PBO or stock: 55-65
Load temps with PBO or stock: 85+

Right now i'm running 3.700 all core with less than 1.1V, having 40-50 degrees idle and 70-73 load on Cinebench R20.

It's the first time that i installed this cooler but i'm pretty sure it's installed correctly with the appropriate amount of pressure.(Can't imagine doing it wrong, pretty simple installation and the screws let you know when it's fine).
Used the pre-installed thermal paste.

So, is this normal? Is the Wraith Stealth that bad?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes, it is that bad. As are pretty much all of the Wraith coolers. It's also very "cyclic" and tends to ramp up and down a lot. I'd run it with PBO off until you install a better cooler. Probably it may actually perform better as it may maintain it's boosted clocks longer.

Obviously, each individuals ambient temperatures will play a role here as well.
Yes, it is that bad. As are pretty much all of the Wraith coolers. It's also very "cyclic" and tends to ramp up and down a lot. I'd run it with PBO off until you install a better cooler. Probably it may actually perform better as it may maintain it's boosted clocks longer.

Obviously, each individuals ambient temperatures will play a role here as well.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wouldn't go so far as to say any of the AMD stock coolers designed for Ryzen are "bad". Pick even the lowliest one up and compare it to the pure trash that Intel has been including with their CPU for decades now....

Your post leaves a lot of questions. What is ambient? Are you using a case with an all glass front and no ventilation? What is your GPU heating to, and is it heat soaking the case on it's own?

I have used the stock cooler on a 1700 for years and it's never caused any issue inside normal operational parameters. It's not a good cooler to OC with on this particular CPU. Used the same one on a R3 1200 for years now, OC to 3.8 @ 1.3125V (IIRC) and it's never posed a problem.

To be the "freebie" included with the level of processors they bundle it with I think they are superb and especially in light of not HAVING to purchase one to use your CPU until you decide what or if something else will be needed for the performance and temps you desire.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Ambient: 22C controlled
Case: MB520 RGB, definitely not the best airflow but not terrible.(Moving to a P500A soon).
Temps are with the GPU in idle, so it's the best case scenario for this cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Agree with punkncat. The Ryzen stock coolers aren't bad.
What hurts the downdraft coolers is users having chassis with no side vents, so the poor things have to cool off the gpu's exhaust.
Most of them don't have a very high thermal capacity, save for models like the Dark Rock TF and NH-C14S.
The trendy tempered glass side panel chassis have given the Wraiths and other downdrafts a bad rep.

Nah, they suck. I've built four Ryzen systems, in good cases with plenty of airflow, and they all exhibited the same poor performance and cyclic behavior. I agree, they are better than the stock Intel coolers but honestly that's not saying much. Every one of those systems had greatly improved thermal performance after replacing the Wraith cooler and I didn't replace them with particularly high end cooling either. Three of them got Thermalright True spirit 140's and one of them got a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 v2, and that's definitely not a high end air cooler, but thermals were well below what they were with the Wraith cooler and maybe even more importantly, no more annoying up down ramping of the fan.

Any modern cooler that needs a fan in the side of the case to do it's job, is pretty lousy in my opinion. Especially when there basically haven't been more than a handful of cases with side vents or fan locations in the longest time. But, that's just my opinion.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Update:

I finally got my Arctic Liquid Freezer 360 and now temps are amazing.
Always below 70 degrees on 100%, even with aggressive overclocks.

I guess the loser stock cooler(Wraith Stealth) couldn't handle the 6-core 5600X.