Question Wreless/ Wired Router

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

I have some questions about a wireless Router. I have a netgear wndr4500 v 3 wireless router. I use it wired though. I'm connected to my home Desktop computer, running, windows 10, Latest build 1809. with all Ethernet cables I have all the wireless features of the router turned off in the netgear Genie Interface that you get too by 192.168.1.1. Now the router seems kind of sluggish still in termes of through put getting into websites. and Kind of slow when watching random youtube videos. I don't run a home network or anything but it uses the firmware from netgear and not dd-wrt firmware. And I hear that the firmware that comes fromn the manufacturer can be buggy and just doesn't work as well as Tomato Or dd-wrt. will I still see performance improvements with the router by using dd-wrt third party firmware on a wired connection or is it only good for wireless connections? The router I currently have does not support dd-wrt. Or Tomato. The new router that I may buy is
Netgear R6400 AC1750 Nighthawk. Will it be worth it for me to buy this router using it for a wired connection? Or will I see no performance improvment and I should stick with this router.

Thank you!!

How fast is your internet connection.

Almost all routers have a special NAT acceleration function. This allow traffic to pass wan to lan at gigbit speeds on even fairly slow routers. You need to make sure this feature is not disabled. Some routers do not make this very clear. I would factory reset your router and in your case just disable the wifi. See if it is any better before you start using other features.

If you get your rated speed on speedtest sites then it has to be something else. Try to disable the ipv6 support in your pc and hard code the DNS in the ipv4 settings to use 8.8.8.8. DNS and ipv6 tend to be common causes of stalling.

If none of this works I would ping 8.8.8.8. constantly and see if you get latency spikes.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
How fast is your internet connection.

Almost all routers have a special NAT acceleration function. This allow traffic to pass wan to lan at gigbit speeds on even fairly slow routers. You need to make sure this feature is not disabled. Some routers do not make this very clear. I would factory reset your router and in your case just disable the wifi. See if it is any better before you start using other features.

If you get your rated speed on speedtest sites then it has to be something else. Try to disable the ipv6 support in your pc and hard code the DNS in the ipv4 settings to use 8.8.8.8. DNS and ipv6 tend to be common causes of stalling.

If none of this works I would ping 8.8.8.8. constantly and see if you get latency spikes.
Okay In my router in the nat security section under Wan Setup Nat surity I had the dot in secured I switched it to open and right underneath it says disable sip alg I do not have a check in that so I don't have this feature disabled. Is this what I was suppossed to do?

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Okay In my router in the nat security section under Wan Setup Nat surity I had the dot in secured I switched it to open and right underneath it says disable sip alg I do not have a check in that so I don't have this feature disabled. Is this what I was suppossed to do?
I have 150 mb connection I'm supossed to anyways. I did a speed test and I'm getting around that? What about the new router?

You should be ok with 150mbps. The problem generally is above 200mbps and the CPU can not keep up and needs to use the hardware assist.

If you get the speedtest numbers then your problem is something else. Do the ping test and see what happens. It is unlikely you need a new router I would be more suspect that there is a issue with the ISP connection but you have to be pretty sure what it is because the ISP will claim they tested and everything is fine. If you see issues in the ping test to 8.8.8.8 then you ping your router ip. You should never see issues here but this is to preempt the ISP from saying it is your router or pc. You will show no loss and consistent latency to the router but problems in the network.

They still may not want to fix it.

Be sure to try the DNS and IPv6 trick in your network setting on the PC especially if the ping looks good.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
You should be ok with 150mbps. The problem generally is above 200mbps and the CPU can not keep up and needs to use the hardware assist.

If you get the speedtest numbers then your problem is something else. Do the ping test and see what happens. It is unlikely you need a new router I would be more suspect that there is a issue with the ISP connection but you have to be pretty sure what it is because the ISP will claim they tested and everything is fine. If you see issues in the ping test to 8.8.8.8 then you ping your router ip. You should never see issues here but this is to preempt the ISP from saying it is your router or pc. You will show no loss and consistent latency to the router but problems in the network.

They still may not want to fix it.

Be sure to try the DNS and IPv6 trick in your network setting on the PC especially if the ping looks good.
Okay thanks for your help!!