[SOLVED] Write Error Rate values ? Data corruption ?

Sep 1, 2022
Here is a screenshot of the S.M.A.R.T. status of my hard drive.
I noticed the Write Error Rate values had increased from 3 to 8 recently.
I have 2 questions.

What do these 2 values mean? (read and write error rate)
Were some data on the drive corrupted?

Thanks

1662019420.png

Solution
Typically writing errors won't cause data corruption. The hard drive stores the data with an integrity check to verify the data is more or less correct. Write operations should do a once-over to verify that what the data was written passes this integrity check. If it doesn't, it's an error. The drive can either re-write the data at the same spot or find another place to write it. Either way, the hard drive will find a place for it.

Being unable to write at a particular location is normal for hard drives and they all ship with room to spare so it can handle some amount of unwriteable locations.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you click Function/Advanced Feature/Raw Details, change it 10 (DEC) and see your value for Power on hours in both places... i know, doesn't answer question but I wonder if Write error rate value stays as 8.

I wouldn't worry about the values unless you get a caution.
yours is very similar
nbxBIXK.jpg

Comparing both, I start to wonder about my drive. Since its D drive it probably last forever.

Write error rate - The total count of errors when writing a sector.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes

you could run chkdsk d: /f /r in command prompt (admin) but its not a massive number.

Last edited:
Typically writing errors won't cause data corruption. The hard drive stores the data with an integrity check to verify the data is more or less correct. Write operations should do a once-over to verify that what the data was written passes this integrity check. If it doesn't, it's an error. The drive can either re-write the data at the same spot or find another place to write it. Either way, the hard drive will find a place for it.

Being unable to write at a particular location is normal for hard drives and they all ship with room to spare so it can handle some amount of unwriteable locations.

Solution
WD drives should ideally have non-zero raw values for the read and write error rates. I would watch these attributes and see how they develop.

Your UDMA CRC Error Count points to communications errors in your SATA link at some time in the past. This could either be due to a bad connection in your SATA data cable, or an incompatibility at high SATA link rates. Sometimes the drive will fall back to a lower link rate for better throughput.

Sep 1, 2022
I wouldn't worry about the values unless you get a caution.
yours is very similar
Your drive looks very fine coz it has no values of write and read error rate though it has been running over 10000 hours.
Dont i need to worry untill the tow values get bigger?

Thanks for your reply

Sep 1, 2022
Typically writing errors won't cause data corruption
Im relieved to hear that.
Whether data were corrupted was my biggest concern.

The drive can either re-write the data at the same spot or find another place to write it.
Is the re-writting counted as write error n the former case?
and rellocated sector in the latter case?

your account of how hard drives work helped me a lot.
Thanks dor your reply.

Sep 1, 2022
WD drives should ideally have non-zero raw values for the read and write error rates. I would watch these attributes and see how they develop.
Should I replace it if the values keeps increasing?

Your UDMA CRC Error Count points to communications errors in your SATA link at some time in the past
As you mentioned, the error occured when i tried to trransfer data from the drive using my former briken PC.
I bought a new PC and formatted the drive.
The value remains the same till now, so i don't worry about it.

Thanks for the reply

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is this an external drive? Only clue I get is the UASP usage, as that would be odd for an internal drive.
UASP - USB Attached SCSI Protocol.
WDC Caviar Green 2tb
How old is drive? model been out 13 years so hard to tell from that.

I would keep eye on values and see how they go. At least hdd give clues, ssd just stop.

Sep 1, 2022
Is this an external drive?
Yes.
I bought it long before, using it as an internal drive for a short period , left it unused untill recently, and started to use it again as an external drive.
I was surprised at the fact it has been 13 years since I bought it.

I would keep eye on values and see how they go.
OK I'll do that

At least hdd give clues, ssd just stop.
So HDDs are better at storing important data than SSDs still now?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the drive is 13 years old and only has a small change in all that time, its held up well.

I would backup anything on it. Not from any signs its giving, just from its age. Things start to fall apart as we get older.

hdd can keep data on them way longer with no power compared to ssd. Possible chance of data loss after 2 years with no power on ssd. Hdd don't need constant power to remember info. The speed advantages of ssd outweigh that in most cases. If you use the drive it will probably never forget any data.

Hdd wear out from use, nvme if given enough free space might last much longer in operation. the power on time for my nvme is 323 days, my hdd that was installed on the same day has been on 449 days. Nvme can turn self off if not being used, hdd can't.