"Write Protection Enabled" 3DS

baba_944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
This happened when I downloaded GlovePie and a game onto my 3DS SD card today to show a friend. It was fine yesterday. When it load it said "Write Protection Enabled. Your files (3DS downloads and apps) cannot be loaded". Help? It's peeing me off.

1: I formatted it

2: did cmd (Admin) disk part and cleared the clean readonly attributes

3: I put tape on the groove edge (I saw it in a video).

4: I tried the SD card slot lock on both positions (on & off).

5: Tried both SD cards same results.

6: I formatted the System. No go.

I contacted "NINTENDO" and they thought I hacked my 3DS. I don't do that .The only changes I've made is repairing my game slot connector. (costs $108 to send it to them; can't afford it). Still can't figure it out.

I tried both SD cards on my sister's 3DS and it works fine.

Thank you for the help.

Ralston18

Titan
baba,

Looks like a problem with the 3DS to me. I.e., two different SD cards work on your sister's 3DS.

1) Did it ever work after your repair?

2) What was the nature of your repair?

Are you sure that no bits of tape "escaped" vis 3) above?

If 1) is true the maybe the repair failed after a couple of uses. Bad or incorrect part maybe. Take a look. Probably nothing to lose now.

Such repairs can be tricky and end up looking like a hack. Especially when most manufacturers no longer want their products to be repairable either easily and/or by the end consumer.

baba_944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I completely took off the tape. It's been like this for months. My dad asked the (Now moving as I type this) IT place next door, they don't know. Talk to a live NINTENDO rep., they don't know. Ask around some other sites, they don't know. I'm about to do a video on this to say "how the heck do I fix this?"

EDIT: It said days, I copy/paste it from when I first had the issue. I should've posted months.

Ralston18

Titan
The reality is that the 3DS may be broken.

Unfortunately "broken" now seems to be being defined as "we do not care and really do not want to spend any time trying to fix it". Especially for items pretty much designed to break easily (via the user of course), break during repair attempts, and not be repairable at all.

Video idea is interesting. Post the link when ready. I would like to watch the video and see the responses and any suggested solutions. Thanks.

baba_944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Sure. It functions (can play 3DS/DS games like a charm thanks to the game slot tape "trick"), but I have no "memory". The SD card for my 3DS acts like a "memory card" (like a PS2 memory card).

baba_944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
So I don't have a video, but I have some strange new development regarding this thing. When I got to school, I sat in the cafeteria (I don't go to class until the bell rings at 7:10AM, yes I'm a senior in HS) and start flicking the switch out of anger (I was about fed up with this). I had the dumbest idea. So you know when you flip the switch it unlocks (write-protection disabled) and downward to locked it (write-protection enabled)? Well I put it kinda in the middle of the unlocked top. It works. It flipping works. I was about to call "NINTENDO" today to ask them about it, but I got it to work. I'm still about to call them. I inserted it like that into my PC and it said write-protection is enabled on your device". Hmm. So I unlocked it and copied my backups on there and put it back in the orignal spot. It still picks up the original data I created for it. You see, I tested it out in weightlifting class (we got done early) I went and added a theme to it (pink for the heck of it). Now what I'm about to do is delete that data and replace it with the back up, but how can I do it in it's "write-protection is enabled" stage on my PC?