Question Writing a image of an old HP workstation on to an SSD?

Feb 17, 2019
Hi. I have and old 2012-2013 HP 270 workstation with a Xeon E3(not sure what generation) loaded with Windows 10 home boot. I'm nterested in a newer SSD(Samsung EVO 860.) I pulled the vanilla boot image off of my HDD, but a friend told me that even with all of the present driver software in the image that I would still have issues with my hardware. I'd really rather not build a system on a newer board, as that takes more money than I would like to spend at the moment.

My question is: is this true? I work in software and as far as my knowledge goes it should work just fine if the boot image has the driver software. Is he referring to memory issues, or specifically board communication issues? Thanks for your help in advance.

Feb 17, 2019
What does he mean by "Still Have" when referring to issues with your hardware.
If there are issues that you have now, they will be there when you re-image to the SSD. That doesn't fix many things.
I don't have any issues with hardware other than my current boot drive dying. I suppose he meant communication issues or incompatibility.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't have any issues with hardware other than my current boot drive dying. I suppose he meant communication issues or incompatibility.

Assuming the current drive works 100%, a straight clone to a new drive is generally no problem.
You're simply recreating the existing install on a new drive.

But if there is any corrupt data on the old drive, that too is "recreated" on the new drive.

Now...what you meant by "I pulled the vanilla boot image off of my HDD "....that is unknown.
What, exactly did you do?

Feb 17, 2019
Assuming the current drive works 100%, a straight clone to a new drive is generally no problem.
You're simply recreating the existing install on a new drive.

But if there is any corrupt data on the old drive, that too is "recreated" on the new drive.

Now...what you meant by "I pulled the vanilla boot image off of my HDD "....that is unknown.
What, exactly did you do?
I used ActiveDisk to pull the image. The program also tells me if any corrupted data was found in any of the boot files, and prompts me to continue or abort the write. By vanilla, what I meant was the image without any of my user data. I backed up my current data before I wiped the disk, and checked it's integrity. Crystal Disk did indeed tell me that my HDD was dying. My question is if I would have hardware issues even with the boot having all my driver software.

USAFRet

Titan
I've never used ActiveDisk, so can't advise there.

But if it works, and all you're doing is swapping physical drives, it should work.

And it sounds like you don't have much choice but to try it.
The worst that can happen is that it fails. And since this is a plain OS, you're not losing much if it fails.