[SOLVED] Writing huge data on a HDD, is ok? (also hwinfo64 question)

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I own a several years old seagate harddisk and a western digital one, first one is around 500GB and wd one is 1TB in size, due to my video editing process its writes like 90GB per video file, it is uncompressed raw video, I do not want to compress because that ruins the quality, so my hdds are ok in terms health and lifespan? Which values/numbers I should be looking in hwinfo64 to understand the health? it is a bit complicated in hwinfo64. Currently the program shows everything is in green OK including all the values, however is there any way to understand what is actually mean? Thank you

EDIT: I found the defraggler software pretty good and easy to understand however since Avast purchased the company, the defraggler,speccy and ccleaner is basically became a adware. so I don't want to use them, it seems only option I got is hwinfo64.

EDIT2: It seems there is another software called crystaldiskinfo for checking disks SMART, I downloaded it and installed it, says GOOD for all my disks, there is no any relocated or uncorrectable sectors on both hdds, so I take it its all good? hopefully stays in that way when I write more video files.

Last edited:
Solution
I refuse to use software to backup because they are usually complicated and requires lots of technical information and knowladge to use properly. Plus with system image works easily even in a blue screen, 1. power off while win10 logo twice, 2. enter troubleshoot mode 3. advanced settings 4. plug in the drive 5. restore system image. 6. Done

It is really simple as far as I understand, plus there are no any methods or software that allows me to backup entire system with few clicks,
All my house systems, most with multiple drives, do a backup of some sort every night.
All automated. Once set up, zero clicks.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
always backup your data.

I did recently, after a system restore messed up my computer. I took a system image of entire computer and since Microsoft seems not bothering removing system image but stopped working on it, I say its pretty safe to use it, I mean it is not like they going to leave Windows 10 without any backup features,

I refuse to use software to backup because they are usually complicated and requires lots of technical information and knowladge to use properly. Plus with system image works easily even in a blue screen, 1. power off while win10 logo twice, 2. enter troubleshoot mode 3. advanced settings 4. plug in the drive 5. restore system image. 6. Done

It is really simple as far as I understand, plus there are no any methods or software that allows me to backup entire system with few clicks,

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
I did recently, after a system restore messed up my computer. I took a system image of entire computer and since Microsoft seems not bothering removing system image but stopped working on it, I say its pretty safe to use it, I mean it is not like they going to leave Windows 10 without any backup features,

I've never found backing up complicated, maybe you need to sample some and use the one that's easiest.

USAFRet

Titan

All my house systems, most with multiple drives, do a backup of some sort every night.
All automated. Once set up, zero clicks.

Solution

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Thanks all, I decided to use AVI container with reduced data sliders in my editing software so I can get somewhat still good image quality with large size compression, not going to use uncompressed anymore,