Wrong Card?????

hrdt0kil

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I ordered a SAPPHIRE 100108-RD Radeon X850PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM from newegg about five months ago and I was looking thgrough my system information and it says I have an X800 GTO instead even though my order invoice says otherwise. I sent newegg this information to their service email today and I was wondering what you think they will do for me. I've got a bad feeling that they wont do anything since it has been so long since I bought it(november to be exact, stupid me).

Hopefully they will reimburse me in some way because I have been having problems with this one but I am not betting on it. I used to get FPS like 60-80 in games like americas army but now I am getting from teens to the fortys and I dont know what to do.

PS I am not very hardware savy.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Yea man...I dont know if they are going to do anything for you since it has been so long. Had it been one month then im sure you might have been in ok shape, but 5?!?. The reason for lesser performance is that possibly the heatsink is not quite as good as it used to be some are not on that great from the start. Maybe take of the heat sink, clean it, re-apply thermal paste and place it tightly on there, install new drivers and clean up your comp alil bit. Thats all I could think of. Or if you have alil cash to spend then just order one of these and you should be ok.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688

if you do that, make sure it is the correct card before you use it, lol

Best,

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy - 2.28ghz - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance Memory (2.5-3-3-5) 415mhz
ATI Original X1900XTX
(2x120gb WD SATA HD's) - Raid 0
Mobo limiting OC!!!

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Yes, that is possible, but unlikely. Download 3Dmark06 and it should be able to read the details of your comp pretty well. That should hopefully give you a better reading. There are more programs out there that you can use in order to tell which card you have, I just cannot think of them off the top of my head.

3Dmark06 ---> http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark06.shtml

Best,

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
ATI Original X1900XTX
Mobo limiting OC!!!

hrdt0kil

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
OK Ill try that, I am just stumped as to why the system information says its adapter type is x800GTO while it says X850 all over the card and it even looks like exactly like one on sapphire's website.

Anyways newegg has agreed to send me another X850 however I have to return the one I have and the new one is refurbished so I dont know if I should just stick with this one(starting to doubt whether or not I have the wrong card) or get the other one.

Thanks

hrd

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
If you do verify that the card is an X850 Pro then I would go ahead and stick with that (just send newegg an e-mail explaining the situation again) and just ignore the fact that windows reads it as X800 GTO, another thing you might want to look at are the clock speeds of the 2 cards.

X800GTO 256mb PCIe = 400mhz core speed / 490mhz mem (980mhz effective DDR)

X850Pro 256mb PCIe = 500mhz core speed / 500mhz mem speed (1000mhz effective DDR)

Both have 12 pipes, just in case you find that anywhere.

Note: The readings of the speeds that you may find on widows will probably not be exact, but they will only be able 5mhz off or so. So you should be able to tell by the clock speeds (which the details tab will show you on 3Dmark06) or you can see in the ATI Catalyst Control Center advanced properties.

Im not saying the refurb will be bad, but you know how it is with that...having one you know about how it was treated is better than one that went bad and someone fixed.

P.S. A drastic fix of the problem may be to re-install the OS if you can or maybe just run a simple repair with the windows disk. (worth a shot with the repair atleast?!?)

Best, and good luck

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
ATI Original X1900XTX
Mobo limiting OC!!!

hrdt0kil

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I got 3DMark06 and I did a graphics test on default settings, highest framerate I had was 10 fps and actually 0 on part 3 of the test, with each frame the screen froze. First time i tried the test in part 1 my screen went white with vertical multicolored lines moving side to side. There has to be something wrong.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Hmmm...yes prozac26 could be onto something here..... 8)

Download the latest version of Catalyst as well as the ATI driver uninstall utility.

Use the utility to uninstall your old drivers.

Reboot.

Once back into Windows it will probably say something like "New Hardware Found" blah blah blah, just cancel out of it, meaning don't let Windows install anything.

Double-click the Catalyst driver you downloaded and run the install from there.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
lol, first off, some of the tests are only CPU, and second its a beast of a benchmark so I wouldnt worry about a low score, but it does seem that something is off with the color. It is possible that your memory is bad (vid mem that is.) From the way it sounds...something is off, but not entirely sure if it is the mem or what. If it was the core...you would have no pic at all, So... And in regards to other posts...lol I did mention a new driver installation somewhere in my first post I believe, but it seems the problem exceeds that.

At this point it seems that maybe the best thing to do is go with the new refurb'd card and if it checks out then thats everything should be good (impressive that newegg even sent it)

If you can try to find someone or a company that may have a "EuroSoft PC Check Disk" that you can check your hardware with. This is a $700 - $800 program so it isnt goin to be easy to find. I have a copy, because the old company that I was a technician for had several and all tech's got one. That is the best way to check the card..im sure newegg will use it to check yours if u send it back.

The best thing I can recommend is get the new card from newegg and if it works then just stick with that, because it seems that there is definatley something hardware related that is going wrong with ur current X800GTO/X850Pro card that you have.

Best of luck,

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
ATI Original X1900XTX
Mobo limiting OC!!!