"Wrong Cartridge" Error on HP Machine

Tim

I have an HP PSC-750 multifunction machine which has been in storage for
about six months. The cartridges were removed beforehand and kept in sealed
bags. Recently I tried the printer again but the machine keeps indicating
that the wrong black ink cartridge is installed and will not print black
whatsoever. Do some ink cartridges have an ID circuit with a battery that
wears out? (the cartridge is about 18 months old) If not, what else could
cause this problem? I checked the contacts and everything appears to be
clean. The cartridge is an HP C6615DN (or "15" as they're commonly referred
to). TIA

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP PSC-750 multifunction machine which has been in storage for about
>six months. The cartridges were removed beforehand and kept in sealed bags.
>Recently I tried the printer again but the machine keeps indicating that the
>wrong black ink cartridge is installed and will not print black whatsoever.
>Do some ink cartridges have an ID circuit with a battery that wears out? (the
>cartridge is about 18 months old)

No, there is nothing about the cartridge that knows its age.

> If not, what else could cause this problem?

Putting the cartridges in a sealed bag means you subjected them to a high
humidity environment. This can cause problems with the printhead. In the
future it would be best to leave the cartridges in the printer, where the
service station they are automatically parked in will optimally store the
cartridges.

You might try cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

You may need to replace the black cartridge. If you were not very careful to
avoid having the nozzle plate of the color cartridge touch the plastic bag you
may have color mixing between the chambers, ruining this cartridge.

Regards,

Tim

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

> No, there is nothing about the cartridge that knows its age.

So a cartridge that's past its expiration date should work, assuming that
nothing else is wrong with it?

> Putting the cartridges in a sealed bag means you subjected them to a high
> humidity environment. This can cause problems with the printhead. In the
> future it would be best to leave the cartridges in the printer, where the
> service station they are automatically parked in will optimally store the
> cartridges.

The printer was shipped cross-country after I removed the cartridges. I
assumed that it's better to remove them before shipping, correct? If so,
what's the best way to preserve partially used cartridges that need to be
removed from the printer?

> You might try cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown at:
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

Thanks for the link, very useful information.

> You may need to replace the black cartridge. If you were not very careful
> to avoid having the nozzle plate of the color cartridge touch the plastic
> bag you may have color mixing between the chambers, ruining this
> cartridge.

Color cartridge appears to be working fine, but is there any chance that it
could harm the printer?

Thanks again for the info.

> So a cartridge that's past its expiration date should work, assuming that
> nothing else is wrong with it?

Yes.

> The printer was shipped cross-country after I removed the cartridges. I
> assumed that it's better to remove them before shipping, correct? If so,
> what's the best way to preserve partially used cartridges that need to be
> removed from the printer?

I would probably leave them in the printer for shipment.

> Color cartridge appears to be working fine, but is there any chance that it
> could harm the printer?

No, the only issue there was that with improper storage colors from one section
could mix with others. Even if this happened it would only result in incorrect
colors, it would not harm the printer.

Regards,

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:22:31 -0800, in comp.periphs.printers, "Bob
Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:

>I would probably leave them in the printer for shipment.

Agreed. But if it's seen heavy use, it might be an idea to strip it down
and remove/replace the waste ink pad. It takes *forever* to clean up a
printer which has been transported/stored upside down.

Dave
--
xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.

Tim

"Dave" <xtalsinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:22:31 -0800, in comp.periphs.printers, "Bob
> Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:
>
>>I would probably leave them in the printer for shipment.
>
> Agreed. But if it's seen heavy use, it might be an idea to strip it down
> and remove/replace the waste ink pad. It takes *forever* to clean up a
> printer which has been transported/stored upside down.

So if the waste ink pad were removed/replaced beforehand, and the printer
were transported upside down, the ink cartridges should still be OK?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:24:15 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers, "Tim"
<argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So if the waste ink pad were removed/replaced beforehand, and the printer
>were transported upside down, the ink cartridges should still be OK?

Probably, but I wouldn't like to try it. The clean up job from the one
with the very wet waste pad was bad enough :-(

Dave

--
xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.