[SOLVED] Wrong Chipset for Motherboard

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Hello! I upgraded my CPU and Motherboard a while ago to a newer socket without considering the chipset. My CPU is the i5 7600K, while the motherboard is the ASUS H170 Pro Gaming. I now realize that the CPU is a Kaby Lake, while the mobo is for the Skylake chipset, but my questions are this: Is this doing damage to any of the components, what are the ramifications of having the wrong chipset, and is this the bottleneck in my PC, or is it coming from some other place. Full specs below
Thanks!

750W PSU
Intel i5 7600K
ASUS H170 Pro Gaming
ADATA 8GB DDR4 4x2
PNY GTX 950
120GB SSD

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The 7600K uses the same socket. The only issue is that you need to put a 6th gen CPU in it in order to update the bios to support 7th gen.

But even worse is the fact that you went out and spent the extra money on a K version of the 7600 but went and bought an H series motherboard.

There is no point in buying a K series CPU unless you want to overclock, and at that point you need to buy a Z series motherboard in order to do that.
Otherwise you are just wasting money.

So aside from being able to borrow a 6th gen CPU from someone in order to update the bios, you should return it if you bought it new for your money back and get a Z270 motherboard for your overclockable CPU.

Here is a link to the cheapest Z270 (assuming you live in America)
Currently on sale for $80
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WN98TW/gigabyte-ga-z270p-d3-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-z270p-d3

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017

Thank you also so much for the info, I'm going to now look into the BIOS update, and I'll keep you posted if/when I have more questions. About the overclocking though, for me personally, I don't do any overclocking, and I bought the H version with that in mind. However, does the K really only give better overclocking capabilities, and not extra speed too? I assumed it would. Again, thank you so much!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The 7600 has a base clock speed of 3.5ghz and boost (only in first core) of 4.1

The 7600k had base of 3.8 with boost of 4.2

At stock settings both CPUs are pretty much identical and the performance difference is something you will not notice, but you paid an additional $50 for that by getting the 7600k on top of the fact that the 7600 k does not come with a stock cooler and you have to buy an aftermarket cooler to put on top of it, this isn't that big of an issue if you already have a cooler that will fit on top of it, but if you don't then you're going to need to buy one which is just going to cost you more money