Wrong Computer Specs?

Jul 5, 2018
Just got a new laptop and I *think* the storage I ordered is different from what I received. I don't know much about specs and whatnot, but something doesn't look right to me. Here is what I ordered:

256GB PCIe Solid State Drive
1TB 7200RPM HDD

When I look at my storage, I see my C drive has 222GB and my D drive has 931GB. Seems incorrect to me, but maybe I am wrong.

Any expertise on this would be much appreciated. :)

Solution
No, the SSD will have your OS installed and, assuming configured properly will be your "C" drive.

The HDD will be secondary storage "D" drive.
Jul 5, 2018

Hmm, I guess I am really confused then. I thought the C Drive storage was the same as HDD - so I was thinking it should be the 1TB as stated above. And the D Drive, should be the 256GB because it's my SSD. Is that not the case?

Jul 5, 2018

ooh. Okay. Does that mean I can store stuff (games, movies, music, etc) on my D drive then? Because having such a small C drive is going to be hard if not. I have never had more than one drive before so, as you can tell, I am confused AF. lol

Also, thank you for your responses and patience. :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, you can store anything you want on the D drive, other than the OS.

Note though, you can either manually select where specific files are stored, or you can map the drives/redirect browsers etc to the D drive entirely.

For gaming for example, in Steam settings you can create a directory on the D drive, and that's where your games will go automatically.

Jul 5, 2018

Ahh! It makes sense now :) Thank you so much for your help! You really saved me a lot of headache.