[SOLVED] Wrong CPU in motherboard....what damage have I done? AMD FX

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
So, doing a system build today and I put an AMD FX CPU into a motherboard that was not compatible with it.... have I killed the CPU, motherboard or both?

Solution
Reseat the RAM, Also make sure the EPS cables are fully installed, some boards the clip can be a pain, make sure the 24pin is installed completely, Is nothing try to clear cmos, Unplug the system from the wall, hold the power button down to drain all the power, and then pop that button cell battery out of the motherboard, might be under the graphics card, and wait for about 60 seconds, pop it back in, and I would install the old CPU that was working, and plug it all back up and see if it boots.

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
It was an Asrock 970 Extreme3...and the wrong fx8120 i put into it, didn't realise there were two versions of them...BIOS is only compatible with one of them :-( Now I wasn't sure on the motherboard anyway...but has correct cpu in now and won't fire up :-( It came to me faulty anyway.....there is a known issue with the BIOS on these motherboards, so I replaced that and it should have fixed it.....but now I just don't know, if motherboard was completely dead to begin with, the new BIOS is faulty or I have now killed it..... :-(

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It was an Asrock 970 Extreme3...and the wrong fx8120 i put into it, didn't realise there were two versions of them...BIOS is only compatible with one of them :-( Now I wasn't sure on the motherboard anyway...but has correct cpu in now and won't fire up :-( It came to me faulty anyway.....there is a known issue with the BIOS on these motherboards, so I replaced that and it should have fixed it.....but now I just don't know, if motherboard was completely dead to begin with, the new BIOS is faulty or I have now killed it..... :-(
The FX 8120 works with all BIOS versions on that motherboard.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Extreme3/#CPU

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Different boost speeds one is 95 watt one is 125 watt.

FD8120FRW8KGU

FD8120WMW8KGU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_FX_microprocessors

EDIT the revision 2 of the motherboard supports both with all BIOS versions.
um, that is interesting......it shouldn't have been a problem then.......guessing the guy who sold me the motherboard was lying about it's fault.....or i just have a dodgy bios chip! trouble is i bought the bios chip over a year ago and it's been sitting on the shelf......it was supposed to be the newest BIOS so i'm in a bit of a quandry best thing to do now, not got much money to play with......

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
um, that is interesting......it shouldn't have been a problem then.......guessing the guy who sold me the motherboard was lying about it's fault.....or i just have a dodgy bios chip! trouble is i bought the bios chip over a year ago and it's been sitting on the shelf......it was supposed to be the newest BIOS so i'm in a bit of a quandry best thing to do now, not got much money to play with......
You are using a video card Right? with the monitor plugged into the card?

EDIT and what fault did he say the board had?

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
You are using a video card Right? with the monitor plugged into the card?

EDIT and what fault did he say the board had?
of course! tried two different graphics cards as well.....one i know for sure does work. Seller on the board claimed intermittent start problems, i.e. it only booted around 20% of the time...constant turn it of and on again to get it to boot.....and i know from experience sure sign of BIOS chip gone bad, known fault with the boards....that's why i had the spare bios chip anyway as building PCs is how i make my money, mostly....so i look for the parts with profit potential. But i'm wondering, i could have dud bios chip...tried putting old one back in as well and still can't get any output, although it does fire up.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
of course! tried two different graphics cards as well.....one i know for sure does work. Seller on the board claimed intermittent start problems, i.e. it only booted around 20% of the time...constant turn it of and on again to get it to boot.....and i know from experience sure sign of BIOS chip gone bad, known fault with the boards....that's why i had the spare bios chip anyway as building PCs is how i make my money, mostly....so i look for the parts with profit potential. But i'm wondering, i could have dud bios chip...tried putting old one back in as well and still can't get any output, although it does fire up.

You bought a motherboard that was having boot problems and now your posting here with boot problems?

EDIT buy a 3 buck motherboard speaker to get the beep code.

Last edited:
Reactions: norcalsc
Reseat the RAM, Also make sure the EPS cables are fully installed, some boards the clip can be a pain, make sure the 24pin is installed completely, Is nothing try to clear cmos, Unplug the system from the wall, hold the power button down to drain all the power, and then pop that button cell battery out of the motherboard, might be under the graphics card, and wait for about 60 seconds, pop it back in, and I would install the old CPU that was working, and plug it all back up and see if it boots.

Reactions: Jake Maverick
Solution

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
i have been building on and off for 30 odd years....even just replaced the cmos battery completely, and still nothing.....I guess the board was probably further damaged in transit and i do need to get another board now.... :-( or it could actually be dead cpu, but i think that unlikely.....

Yeah, it maybe, Do you have another AM3+ motherboard to try, I doubt the CPU is bad, its pretty hard to kill them, but if the motherboard died, sometimes it can take other things out with it.

Good thing is AM3+ boards seem to be real easy to find 2nd hand, at least in my area, I seen a lot of them on Marketplace. You might get lucky especially if you live near a busy area.

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
i have a couple of boards...but they already built up, new compound applied.....and pretty rural here, just hunting on ebay atm......it's annoying i need to get them built and sold for xmas....running out of time!