Wrong display of RAM usage?

SuperTarifas

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
I have 8GB ram on my pc. While idling task manager says I use about 600MB but above that, it says 24% usage, and 600MB is clearly not 1/4 of 8000MB. So I assumed that 1 stick must be broken, but I don't think that is the case because programmes such as CPU-Z do show 8GB RAM.

Solution
then there is nothing wrong with your RAM, windows is using 2.2GB, you got 4.3GB worth of previous program data on standby, and 1.6GB completely unused at current state.
Thats normal stuff, you worry about nothing.

It can be confusing when windows reports that it alone uses 600MB, but all the extra stuff that makes windows work like you want it to is not included there until you use resource monitor. your gpu driver app, your sound app, your wireless control app, etc.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
ok, task manager, performance tab, resources monitor button.

memory tab.

the green in use bar is?
the blue bar standby is?
the light blue bar total free is?
total physical windows sees is? (if this isnt 8GB then you got a fault).

SuperTarifas

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017

Green in use is 2200MB
Blue standby is 4355MB
Light blue total free is 1600MB
Windows does infact see 8GB.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
then there is nothing wrong with your RAM, windows is using 2.2GB, you got 4.3GB worth of previous program data on standby, and 1.6GB completely unused at current state.
Thats normal stuff, you worry about nothing.

It can be confusing when windows reports that it alone uses 600MB, but all the extra stuff that makes windows work like you want it to is not included there until you use resource monitor. your gpu driver app, your sound app, your wireless control app, etc.

Solution