Wrong DNS Server on IPCONFIG /ALL

WildMonkey365

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
I have a multi site customer on a virtual MPLS. The firewall is also set to Implicitley deny all incoming & outgoing traffic. The corporate office has a windows DNS server & all the other sites use the windows server for their DNS. My problem is when the onsite tech does an ipconfig /all to check his DNS server on their network he sees the firewalls gateway IP address (192.168.20.1) rather than remote DNS server (192.169.100.254) I have tcp/udp 53 opened for DNS to his laptop but I have to disable the Implicit Deny on the LAN side firewall rule for the windows DNS server to show as his primary and for him to resolve hostnames. What should I do?

Solution
there are 2 ways to assign DNS settings: manually or via DHCP, i am assuming your DHCP server is providing the DNS settings, if you cant figure out how to tell the DHCP server to provide the correct DNS, just go ahead and manually assign it.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
there are 2 ways to assign DNS settings: manually or via DHCP, i am assuming your DHCP server is providing the DNS settings, if you cant figure out how to tell the DHCP server to provide the correct DNS, just go ahead and manually assign it.

Solution

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Also make sure you only have one DHCP server, and any others are switched off (like any other router or server etc). Any machines on a Domain will take its dhcp from there, but any free roaming laptops might not, which might also be connected via wireless ?