torsion

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Hello, I'm needing some help identifying if I've received the correct memory. I should have received 2gb Pc2 6400 800mhz Ddr2 Kit 2x1gb Chips. But when I look in the bios it says...

DDR II 1: 1024MB/266Mhz (DDRII533)
DDR II 2: 1024MB/266Mhz (DDRII533)

Thanks for the help.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Start with providing the complete RAM information including model and part number off the box.

You could run CPUZ and check the SPD tab. Some are even "mislabeled" in the SPD. If there is a 400Mhz frequency in the timings table, then they will say it's really DDR2 800 even though it's called DDR2 533.

torsion

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Here's a screenshot of CPUZ.

cpuzhh2.png

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Since I don't have any other information to go on, I would say you got PC2-6400 as said in the max bandwidth of the SPD.

If the BIOS thinks it's DR2 533, then you can "OC" it manually. Technically it isn't an OC because it's in the SPD as an acceptable speed.

Check the memory tab and see the speed its actually running at currently. The memory tab will show you the frequency, which should automatically be set to 400, it will also show the timings at that frequency, which should match the SPD timings for that speed. Often the BIOS will set higher numbers (looser timings) than are in the SPD for increased stability, that can be manually tightened.

If you don't know anything about adjusting the timings or RAM speed and it's not set for 400, but is set for 266, then I can help you.

I think that, technically, the RAM needs to default to the speed that they sold it as, up to 800 at least. So if it isn't running at 400 in the memory tab but instead is running as 266 and the BIOS sees it as 533 you could bytch.

Understand, assuming you have a core 2 duo, the processor isn't very sensitive to RAM speeds, so you probably won't notice much of a difference anyway. AMD CPUs are more sensitive to RAM speed.

I would be glad to help you tweak it, post your specs.

torsion

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks, Zorg. In the bios it's set to "auto" and I wasn't sure about changing it. So no, I don't really know anything about adjusting the timings or rams speed.

Here are some of the other tabs:

memoryap2.png

cpuup3.png

mainboarduh0.png

I'm running mostly Ubuntu but have XP on a dual boot. Thanks for the help.

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Yeah i think it will be the bios settings slowing the ram down..... only way is to manually change the fsb/memory ratio. Check out the manual that came with the mb

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Your RAM is set to 533. You should be able to increase it to 800 and adjust the timing accordingly. I downloaded the manual for that mobo. Unfortunately, I have very little experience with AMD. I could raise the RAM speed if I was sitting in front the machine, but there isn't enough information in the manual for me to explain it to you, with my limited experience. One thing I don't want to do is give you information that is not 100% accurate, and cause your machine to crash, or worse get damaged.

I would post in the Overclock -> AMD forum and ask for help in increasing the RAM to 800 (400) and setting the timings. Give a complete list of your configuration in the post. There is certainly someone there that is intimately familiar with your setup and can help you. I would also go to ASRock and link the manual in your post. Anything that you do to make it easier gets you more help.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but better safe than sorry. If you can't get any help PM me and link the thread and I'll try and find someone to help you.

Good luck.

torsion

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I figured if the memory says its 800, then why not change the bios settings. Where it says memory clock, I changed it to 400Mhz (DDRII800), saved settings and rebooted. What an amazing difference! The boot loader is much faster and pops up in no time. Almost makes me want to upgrade to 4GB.

Here's a new screenshot of the memory tab.

memory2yc6.png

You've been a great help, thank you very much.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Cool, Nice work. Your timings match the SPD as well. I saw some other settings in the BIOS that I wasn't familiar with, and I didn't know how they represented the speed, as a number or a multiple, so I figured I should er on the side of caution.

Latest posts