[SOLVED] Wrong RAM frenquency

Feb 3, 2021
Motherboard: Rog STRIX z490-E GAMING
Processor: i7 10700k
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3600 (CMW32GX4M2D3600C18)

Hi i ran into an issue today in the bios. when i try to turn on xmp profile it reboots en resets the settings.
apperently i bought the wrong frequency ram sticks for my motherboard.
i searched for the competible rams and apperently it supports the vengeance up to 3200mghz.
is there any problem to just turn the mghz to 3200 with the xmp profile or should i buy the 3200mghz.

thanks in advance for your help
Kind regards,
Jeremy Stout

Solution
oh thx i was like have i really payed for ram that i cant even use 100% xD
but are you sure it wont damage the system over time because its not listed in the RAM list of the mobo.

just some info that you can see it works :p
https://prnt.sc/y7ic7l

Your picture looks fine. RAM running at 3600MHz CAS18. Looks good to me.

It will not damage anything. That RAM is advertised at 3600MHz so it can run at 3600MHz. Maybe in 5 years your system will go "No more 3600MHz" but that's pretty much product wear and tear you know. So no. It won't damage anything. Just have fun with your system. Everything is fine atm :)
Feb 3, 2021
It's totally fine to run the RAM under the advertised speed.
okay thx. but i just got a blue screen with sad face when i tried opening this site with ram frequency on 3200mhz.
so i just put it down to 3000mhz and test i assume? (still weird why its not working on 3200mhz)

Edit:
3000mhz isnt working aswell when i test it with prime95 it went blue screen again. :\

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021
What BIOS version are you on?

What Slots are you RAM in?
My RAM are in slot 1 and 3 if i say it right.
and im running the latest bios version (Version 2004 )

EDIT:
2800mhz is running without crashing with prime95
2933mhz running without crashing with prime95 (while testing pc was very slow, i think thats normal with a test?)

Last edited:
My RAM are in slot 1 and 3 if i say it right.
and im running the latest bios version (Version 2004 )

EDIT:
2800mhz is running without crashing with prime95

When you said that it wasn't working at 3600Mhz I was like ok that can happen. When you said 3200MHz wasn't working I started thinking there was something wrong. RAM should be able to stick to 3200MHz with that CPU and Board.

Your issue is your RAM slots. A2-B2 needs to be used when you use 2 sticks. So the second and fourth slot starting from the CPU side.

You switch the RAM to these slots and you try 3200MHz again. It should work.

View: https://imgur.com/a/cyPmQEX

Feb 3, 2021
When you said that it wasn't working at 3600Mhz I was like ok that can happen. When you said 3200MHz wasn't working I started thinking there was something wrong. RAM should be able to stick to 3200MHz with that CPU and Board.

Your issue is your RAM slots. A2-B2 needs to be used when you use 2 sticks. So the second and fourth slot starting from the CPU side.

You switch the RAM to these slots and you try 3200MHz again. It should work.

View: https://imgur.com/a/cyPmQEX
i switched it to a2,b2 and the test is working fine on 3200mhz. how can i be sure that it runs stable?

Feb 3, 2021
Keep using it at 3200MHz. You should not see anything wrong now but if you do have instabilities just crank it down to 2933MHz.
im even able to use 3600mhz and testing with prime95 works fine aswell.
and what instabilities would there be if any may happen? so i know what to look for

Feb 3, 2021
Just plain crashes like BSOD. If you don't see any in the next few days you're totally ok.

If you get one reduce to 3200MHz but if you don't have fun with the system! :D
but are you sure it wont damage the system over time because its not listed in the RAM list of the mobo.

It will not damage anything. That RAM is advertised at 3600MHz so it can run at 3600MHz. Maybe in 5 years your system will go "No more 3600MHz" but that's pretty much product wear and tear you know. So no. It won't damage anything. Just have fun with your system. Everything is fine atm :)

Solution
Feb 3, 2021

i have to wait to game with this system my gpu: rtx 3080 msi gaming x trio is (one of the bad ones) so i have to RMA it. have to wait for another hope it wont take a while.

I am very grateful to you for this you are a hero :)
have a nice day :)