Wrong Time and Date

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
This morning when I turned on my computer I noticed that the time and date was off. I restarted the computer to check to see if the bios time was off too and it was. I find it really weird because I just recently changed the bios battery about a month ago. Is there any other reason that the time would change besides the bios battery being dead?

You can see my specs in the member config.

If you cleared the CMOS jumper and defaultd the BIOS, the time and date will have to be reset. FYI a faulty PSU could cause the system to 'reset' defaulting the BIOS in the process. Suspect = PSU if system continues to 'reset' on it's own.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I did reset the bios on Saturday but would of noticed a time change since then. Also, my bios time doesn't change after I reset the CMOS. I just did it right now and the time stayed the same.

Yeah, a 'bad' or shorted PSU can cause the system to restart on it's own and a reset of the CMOS. Perhaps you only noticed the time and date were reset. maybe other things were reset as well. My experience with a bad/shorted PSU was to have the system restart on it's own and reset the CMOS to default the system. I swapped out a working PSU and the problem I described occured. Then I replaced the 'problem' PSU and installed a new PSU out of the box. Problem of random restarts/CMOS reset to default solved.

EDIT I have not reinstalled the suspect PSU. I RMA'd it though and got back the same unit from PCP & C after they checked/repaired it. So, that is why I am not sure if the PSU was 'bad' or just shorting out causing CMOS reset/default.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I am not sure but I think I might of figured it out. I recently purchased a new wireless router and never changed the time of the router to be in-sync with my computer. The result was the computer not letting me update the time through Windows Update Time Synchronization. Since I use the computer everyday there was no problem with the time getting slow but when I did not use it for 4 days and the computer wanted to sync with windows internet when I turned it on and it did not allow it the time stayed in its current time before synchronization. Does that make any sense?

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
All I know is that when I tried to set the synchronization with internet time server manually, I would get an error, now after I configured the router It works. Asus told me that the poster only has a 30 day warranty and it cost 16 dollars to get a new one.

TRENDING THREADS