wrong type of hd

fullclip77

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
hi

i was building a pc and just got my last parts to complete it.
i have a small 120gb ssd for the operating system.
awhile back i bought 3 x 3tb wd purples for the non os part of system and i cant return them cause i bought them 3 months ago.

i read that since there for surveillance that they have error issues when used for data like games and movies or music.i have tons of steam games i want to install and start playing but i just dont know what to do.

i dont have the money to buy other drives.

are there any options ?
examples: any way to change the way error correction is handled or a specific software to used when writing to disk ?

does the error issues only happen during data writes or can it happen when reading data that was successfully copied without error to disk ?

any help would be very appreciated

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Purple drives are unlikely to be disasters in these cases, but in surveillance, it's far more important to record non-stop than with incredible accuracy. Surveillance drives are designed a certain way to relect usage that is mainly *sequential* reading/writing while desktop usage is mainly *random* reading/writing. There is unlikely much you can really do to change this at all. If these are still new and boxed, I'd much prefer selling them on ebay taking the hit, and getting proper drives rather than spend years with drives that aren't really well designed for my usage.

TRENDING THREADS