Question WRT54G acting as a bridge in one way or another

Apr 2, 2019
I have a device that is NOT a computer in a room far away from my primary wireless router (an Apple Airport Extreme). I purchased a Linksys WRT54G on eBay and I reset it. Now I need to figure out how to create a bridge so I can run an ethernet cable from this WRT54G into my other device (a ham radio that needs an ethernet connection to the Internet and is not wifi compatible).

I found this post that tells me there are different ways to do it, but frankly I am very inexperienced with networking and don't know how to proceed:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

I don't know if I should update my firmware from the Linksys site, and set the router for one of the modes that is available, or if I should use the dd-wrt firmware.

The firmware version on my router as received is 8.1.08 if that matters. A sticker on the bottom of this router says "Model No. WRT54G v8.1"

At this point I've done the 30-second reset via the hole on the back of the router. I've plugged the router into my computer in that remote room (that pc has a wireless connection via wifi dongle to my Apple router, which is my main router for the house). I used an ethernet cable to go from the #1 socket on the back of the router to the computer's ethernet socket. I've gone to the default IP address for the router (192.168.1.1) and brought up the setup screen for the router and changed it to my local time zone. I've also gone to setup, then advanced routing, and changed the operating mode to router instead of gateway.

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I don't think too many people here would have recommended a WRT54G purchase today. A "G" standard device will potentially slow down all your other "N" WIFI devices. But you have already spent that $10 ...
I would use the aftermarket firmware. You will get a lot better info and support.

Apr 2, 2019
Thank you for the reply!! Yep, dirt cheap. Also there is firmware to create mesh networks in the ham radio world and many people use this router for some reason.

Apr 2, 2019
Since you are using it as a wireless bridge, mesh is not really relevant. IF you ever want an upgrade for cheap on E-Bay check out the Asus RT-N56U. Excellent router WIFI and much newer hardware.

My thought was that if the wireless bridge doesn't work, I could use it for the ham radio mesh network application. I bought a second WRT54G and have $13.50 each in them average. My local ham radio club does emergency communications in concert with the county emergency management agency so something like this would be handy to have:

https://i.postimg.cc/qMPy4xfx/20160609-153002.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation on the RT-N56U. Those are cheap as well!!! If I get too frustrated with this process I may give one a shot. Right now I am reviewing all of the info on this page and trying to learn the ins and outs:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

It will take some trial and error to get up to speed but that's cool. Thank you for your help!!!