WS440BX chipset drivers....

I'm having a heck of a time getting a Radeon 7000 video card to work right
under Win2k & XP. It won't work in 16 bit color mode....only in 32 bit,
which slows the computer down quite a bit. It will run fine in 16 bit mode
under Win98SE.

I emailed ATI tech support, and e-mailed me back with a standard canned tech
response listing a few things to try. One of the things listed was to update
the motherboard chipset drivers.

Can/should they be updated on a WS440BX board. Does this board really
support AGP 2X?

Thanks,
Scott

Yes it does - are you running the latest Catalyst drivers?

"74sohc" <my74sohcNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a heck of a time getting a Radeon 7000 video card to work right
> under Win2k & XP. It won't work in 16 bit color mode....only in 32 bit,
> which slows the computer down quite a bit. It will run fine in 16 bit mode
> under Win98SE.
>
> I emailed ATI tech support, and e-mailed me back with a standard canned
tech
> response listing a few things to try. One of the things listed was to
update
> the motherboard chipset drivers.
>
> Can/should they be updated on a WS440BX board. Does this board really
> support AGP 2X?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

I tried the latest Catalyst drivers, and they didn't resolve the problem.
I've been using the board in 32 bit mode....it works well display wise, but
it slows the computer down a bit.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Yes it does - are you running the latest Catalyst drivers?
>

> "74sohc" <my74sohcNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having a heck of a time getting a Radeon 7000 video card to work
right
> > under Win2k & XP. It won't work in 16 bit color mode....only in 32 bit,
> > which slows the computer down quite a bit. It will run fine in 16 bit
mode
> > under Win98SE.
> >
> > I emailed ATI tech support, and e-mailed me back with a standard canned
> tech
> > response listing a few things to try. One of the things listed was to
> update
> > the motherboard chipset drivers.
> >
> > Can/should they be updated on a WS440BX board. Does this board really
> > support AGP 2X?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scott

32-bit graphics almost always will run slower than 24-bit, which almost always
runs slower than 16-bit. A computer running 32-bit graphics mode has to shuffle
twice as many bits as one running in 16-bit... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
> 32-bit graphics almost always will run slower than 24-bit, which
> almost always runs slower than 16-bit. A computer running 32-bit
> graphics mode has to shuffle twice as many bits as one running in
> 16-bit... Ben Myers

That's why I'd like to get this card to work well in 16 bit instead of 32.
For what I use it for, 16 bit is plenty. It works great in Win98...very
fast, but I use Win2k most of the time, and I just installed XP too.

Scott