Question wSamsung 860 500gb Questions

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I have an SSD 500gb to replace my current 830 Samsung 256gb drive. I would love to clone it but that's too much work for me I suppose as a lot of people say reinstalling fresh is better which I rather do. If I reinstall I bet I would need to format my hard drive for my new SSD since my old games cannot run with the reinstalled OS. I'll have to back up my steam and origin games including Uplay but I don't have to do that since I have cloud I forgot that. Origin and Steam would need to be backed up. However, we'll get to that point.

I saw videos where people actually have a Windows OS as a primary drive and it does a system reserve partition for it. I don't understand why people add other partition for more space? Do you really need to do that? I just only install the OS and that's it. Why do you need to add another system partition? Once it's installed do you need to do anything else besides that? I have an SSHD Hybrid Seagate drive. I just wanna know what to do before I consider reinstalling Windows 10.

Can someone give me step by step information what to do to install this? I wanna do it right this time since this is a brand new SSD and I don't wanna mess it up.

So please explain me step by step so I can do this today to save time.

i7 8700k stock clocks
16gb 3000mhz Corsair Veng RGB
Samsung 830 (soon to be 860 Evo) SSD 500gb
Seagate SSHD Hybrid 1TB
Corsair cooler RGB H100i
Corsair RMX 750 watts
Evga 1060 6gb SSC
Windows 10 64bit

How old is the windows install on the older ssd? If a few months old, just clone it, so no need to reinstall apps.

Also no need to format your hdd but wouldn’t hurt to back it up just in case. If you do a fresh install of Windows, when you point Origin and Steam to your existing libraries they’ll update. May take a minute first time you try to install while it verifies the libraries.

You can indeed have one large partition instead of C and D: on same drive. Some people do that so they can reinstall windows without affecting the other data on the drive.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
How old is the windows install on the older SSD? If a few months old, just clone it, so no need to reinstall apps.

Also no need to format your HDD but wouldn’t hurt to back it up just in case. If you do a fresh install of Windows, when you point Origin and Steam to your existing libraries they’ll update. May take a minute the first time you try to install while it verifies the libraries.

You can indeed have one large partition instead of C and D: on the same drive. Some people do that so they can reinstall windows without affecting the other data on the drive.
Okay, I see. What is a good program to use to clone my SSD to another SSD? It isn't that old. I just recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my older SSD like few days ago or a week I cannot remember. Not even that long. However, I need to know the proper steps to cloning my SSD to another SSD and deleting what needs to be deleted afterward. Much help would be appreciated!

popatim

Titan
You'll spend far more time reinstalling then just cloning. Don't forget you also need to reinstall all your motherboard & Gpu drivers, all your software, and then get things the way you like them (background, screensaver, power plan...). This doesn't even include the plethora of Windows updates you'll need to download and install as well...

Just thought it was worth pointing out that you're doing this the hard way and not the easy path.

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...thy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Ask questions if anything is unclear.