WSJ: Motion Sensitive Camera Coming for Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
They do know the gimmicky control scheme isn't the only reason Nintendo is successful right?

It's how they market to the ignorant, not what they market with. Make a commercial with some bright colors and a family friend approach with lots of people "having fun".

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
We're one step closer to the holodeck.

Now if we can get some start-up company to produce pr0n with motion movement controls using XNA Game Studio...

G

Honestly, I'm not the kind of person that likes playing games without a controller. What I would like is a light gun for all of my fps shooters. That would be amazing.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
too little too late, this wont take off on 360 and should'be be compiled with whatever the next system is. Developers arent going to start making games for this.... ITS 3 (4 for 360) YEARS SINCE ITS BEEN RELEASED. Typically 1 year from now, they announce their new system...

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]too little too late[/citation]Considering how graphics on the X360 still look better than the graphics on the PS3 cause Sony's graphic library was "purposely designed" to be crappy, I dunno why you think that M$ would need to announce a new system within a year alienating its current user-base when it's still the top dog in the current console war graphically. Not to mention M$ still haven't announced their "slim" version of the X360.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
It'll all come down to how well it works, and how well it's implemented. The Wii controls work just fine, but countless crappy games and a few great games testify to the fact that there's a right way and a wrong way to use a control system. Honestly, I don't expect this to catch on very well, as the Xbox is more oriented towards FPSs and RPGs, but who knows?

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]We're one step closer to the holodeck.Now if we can get some start-up company to produce pr0n with motion movement controls using XNA Game Studio...[/citation]

Virtua Pr0n comes with a fleshlight/dildo controller!

G

Doesn't this already exist? There's a camera motion controlled game already out that uses the current xbox camera.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
The difference from the sounds of things enusbaum is that this will be a stereo camera operation with the ability of reasonably accurate depth perception. I agree that its not likely to take off on the 360. I'm guessing it is probably more for purposes of getting the structure and support down so that they can do a good job with it on the next gen.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
great idea, but knowing microsoft, they won't let any third parties make better solutions, therefore jackingup price for a puny piece of hardware up to around.... $150.

than sony will continue to add that 'necessary piece of equipment to operate the console' on to the long list of 'things you need for the 360 that add to its price, and the things that ps3 already have' because 'ps3 is apparently also a pioneer in motion control'

stox

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
What makes the wii so successful is it's multi-player games. I wonder if microsoft has considered this with their camera? Will it be able to read the motions of more than one player?

Hellcatm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]too little too late, this wont take off on 360 and should'be be compiled with whatever the next system is. Developers arent going to start making games for this.... ITS 3 (4 for 360) YEARS SINCE ITS BEEN RELEASED. Typically 1 year from now, they announce their new system...[/citation]

Most likely MS has been developing this tech for a while (I saw a video of it about a year ago with a cam and the 360) so game devs have probably been working on games for this tech since then. MS will probably make it compatible with both the 360 and the new Xbox when it comes out.

Hellcatm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]great idea, but knowing microsoft, they won't let any third parties make better solutions, therefore jackingup price for a puny piece of hardware up to around.... $150.than sony will continue to add that 'necessary piece of equipment to operate the console' on to the long list of 'things you need for the 360 that add to its price, and the things that ps3 already have' because 'ps3 is apparently also a pioneer in motion control'[/citation]

Oh spare me Sony didn't put rumbe into their PS3 controllers and then charged for the controllers with rumble. They probably did this on purpose so they can make extra money from the people who bought new controllers. Also people who bought the first blu-ray players had to buy the second gen then the third gen to get functions they didn't put in in the first place. Sony is notorious for doing things like that not MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.