[WTA] Custom loop coolant questions

Kaitodesu

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
So i'm running a custom loop, but i'm not sure if i need anti corrosion additives or if dyes have them. here are my materials

cpu block: pure copper
radiator: alluminium layer fins and water tunnel
gpu block :electroless nickel (EN) plated electrolytic copper (ek-fc680 gtx)

please advice what should i add into my distilled water to keep stuff growing or corroding (and how long it will last too)

Solution

So the radiator internal tubing is aluminum?

So you have copper, aluminum, and nickel metals in the same loop?

Then you need to use a multi metal protective premix, something like:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-ekoolant-evo-liquid-coolant-clear-premix-1-liter.html

The link is the clear, but you can get it in Red, Green, or...
Aug 11, 2015
Definetely add an anti corrosive, because you have different metals, a growth inhibitor (either PTnuke or a piece of silver, aka a killcoil) would be a good idea as well.
Colourings are up to you, but NEVER use food colouring, it will gunk up and everything will start getting clogged. Only use specific dyes that are made for this, check out mayhems.

You only need 1-2 drops of ptnuke and anti corrosive, and you get a small bottle. Basically, you will need to flush your loop every 1-2 years.
If you stick with only distilled water, it ought to be flushed every 6 months.
Its up to you, but if things start clogging it is a NOGHTMARE and you can sometimes need to dismantle blocks to cleen them, so for I few bucks, I highly recommend you pick up a bottle of ptnuke and an anti corrosive.

So the radiator internal tubing is aluminum?

So you have copper, aluminum, and nickel metals in the same loop?

Then you need to use a multi metal protective premix, something like:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-ekoolant-evo-liquid-coolant-clear-premix-1-liter.html

The link is the clear, but you can get it in Red, Green, or Blue, and only use this coolant 100% by itself, do not add anything else to it, especially any silver coil or biocide.

Product Characteristics Quote:
Characteristics:
- low electrical conductivity
- biological growth inhibition
- corrosion protection according to BS5117 and BS6580 standards
- high quality concentrated pigments for intense, vivid and saturated colors
- compatible with Acrylic, POM Acetal, rubber (NBR, EPDM and Norprene) materials
- eco-friendly (90% biodegradable in 10 days)
- RoHS compliant
- 3-year shelf time after bottling

Techical data:
- colour: Blood RED
- content: 1000 mL

Please note:
- Rinse the loop to flush out impurities prior to filling it with EK-Ekoolant EVO
- Do not mix or top off with any other liquid other than EK-EKoolant EVO
- Do not add any biocides to EK-Ekoolant as the product already includes such additives! Failure to do so might result in dye and coolant breakdown.
- We recommend replacing the liquids every 12 months for best performance!

Solution