WTF is wrong with my computer?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I have had my new computer that i built for about a month, and aside from i virus, it has worked very well.

On the 10th it started randomly shutting off, flashing to a different blue screen than i have ever seen, for less than a second. It then loaded back up and worked for a while longer, playing fear and bf 2142 no prblems. Then again it shut off. Now it did this repeatedly and at closer intervals. Finally it has gotten to the point where it won't even load BIOS, and has a series of beeps, i think about three. Now before it died completely, i got a microsoft warning saying there was a driver error, but installing the old drivers and getting new ones wouldn't work. Now the beeping according to the vid card manuel, means one of three things.

1. The vid card has a problem
2. The motherboard has a problem.
3. The vid card is not seated correctly.

Now i don't see how it could not be seated right because it worked for a long time, and sometimes still works. Same goes for the motherboard. So i am confused why it only works sometimes. I opened the case and the only thing that i can see that COULD possibly affect the vid card would be a temp monitor, that fell from where i tied it, onto the top of the card. Now i don't know if that could affect it, like grounding the circuits or something. Other than that i have no idea what is wrong. Everything is still on warrently, and i might still be able to RMA i if somehing is physically wrong with anything.

PS. I don't have spare parts to test what is wrong, or i would have already done so. :wink:

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Does it boot with a minimal config, non-overclocked? (1 stick of RAM, no overclocking on CPU, boot hard drive, no CD drives, etc).

It could be a power supply error. It could be a problem with the motherboard or the video card. You need to find someone you can borrow spare parts from and use them to troubleshoot...

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Does it boot with a minimal config, non-overclocked? (1 stick of RAM, no overclocking on CPU, boot hard drive, no CD drives, etc).

It could be a power supply error. It could be a problem with the motherboard or the video card. You need to find someone you can borrow spare parts from and use them to troubleshoot...

Well I'm almost certain its the vid card because thats where all the errors were happening befoe now. I don't think its the power supply. I haven't tried taking ram, cd and stuff out, but i don't think that would help.

I just want to know, if it is the vid card, what can i do about it?

PS. Could a virus do this?

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>if it's the vid card, what can I do about it.

RMA it. Or get a spare video card and test with it. Or test the video card in a different computer! You can't just say something is dead without any troubleshooting. Find a mate with a PC and test the card in their machine!

>could a virus do this?

Unlikely.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah, should be fine - I'd probably recommend finding a friend and testing cards then!

Well i called tech support "GASP!!!" 8O , and the place i bought it from said call EVGA cuz it was a vid card problem. So i called EVGA and they said yes definetly(I had them listen to the beep) and they made an RMA thing and now i just have to wait for an email with shipping info. Crap thing is i'm stuck using my p2 again for like 2 weeks. I had to go set it up a bit ago, this is it now... this is it sucking :wink: