WUDFRd failed to load

mangaman

Honorable
So after plugging in my external hard drive to delete some files, my system started to run sluggish. I then tried to sign out, but after being stuck on the sign out screen for 10 mins I had to do a hard reset. After booting back up, I went into my event viewer and found that event 140 and 51 were causing the problem. Under those, event warning 219 stated "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the service SWD\WPDBUSENUM". My external hard drive is a seagate 1Tb. I also went into the device manager and found no yellow exclamation point to tell me that my drivers are bad. What happened? I want to backup my files ASAP on my external drive, so any answers would be great.

Solution
So, there are no bad sectors on the drive. Yet, CRC could indicate some mechanical flaw. I don't think that you can fix that.
You can attach the drive with another cable, retest and see if there would be any change.

D_Know_WD
Hi there mangaman,

Similar issues, could be caused by a failing drive. So, it may be a good idea to back up the data stored on the drive.
Is the drive accessible? In case it is, you can back the data up right away. After that, you can test it with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Observe the SMART report and look for pending/reallocated/uncorrectable sectors.

If the drive is not accessible, you can boot up Ubuntu from a CD or a flash drive(just boot up, don't do installation), access the drive and back up all the data.
Ubuntu sometimes handles better failing drives: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode

It will not hurt to try something simple as just attaching the drive with another cables to a different port/system.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

mangaman

Honorable

Thanks for the response. I ran Crystal Disk Info and it said the drive was fine. However, HD Tune Pro said that I had a Warning on the Calibration Retry Count. Everything else is OK, the drive is fully accessible. I also tried the Windows built in error correction software, but it said everything was fine, with is probably a lie. I also did an error scan in HD Tune Pro and it found no damaged blocks. Is there anyway to fix the Calibration warning? Even if there is, I'm still going to buy another external hard drive, but in the mean time I really need this fixed.

mangaman

Honorable

Thanks for the input. I will save up some money to buy a replacement drive to backup my data on the external. But for now, should I leave the external alone by not plunging it in until I get a replacement? After all, you said CRC could be a mechanical flaw and I don't want to risk loosing data.