Www best antivirus for window 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasan_61

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
hi friends,
i have installed windows 8/ developed previews . i just to ask which one the best protected antivirus software compatible wth my system pls inform me
thnx

Solution
Hello hasan_61;

Windows 8 has it's own built in anti-virus.
And the Dev Preview expires in about a month so you'll be switching over to Windows 8 Beta about that time.
So I'm suggesting you just carry on and not worry about an extra AV program.
Hello hasan_61;

Windows 8 has it's own built in anti-virus.
And the Dev Preview expires in about a month so you'll be switching over to Windows 8 Beta about that time.
So I'm suggesting you just carry on and not worry about an extra AV program.

Solution

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Ugh, dont even speak of norton. Working for DSGI and litterally 40% of calls being uninstalling norton because its blocking the internet.....

Windows 8 at this moment in time, the built in one is better than the majority of others.

If you dont like the windows one then pick a generic one and choose if you want to pay for one. Personally I use avast.

Hi :)

Total tosh....

Norton does NOT block the Internet....Viruses do....

And anyone using Avast does not know enough about AV programs to comment...

All the best Brett :)

clairesmith

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
There are many Anti Virus to choose from and aren't much different, if willing to pay for anti virus then Norton have stepped up their game and their software doesn't slow down the pc and does the job well.. but if wish for free anti virus (you wont be able to tell the difference between free and paid anti virus) them there are a few such as AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast.
http://www.techyv.com/questions/seeking-good-and-best-anti-virus

Kewlx25

Distinguished

From the reviews that I've read, Vipre wasn't the best are spotting threats *until* they ran. Once malware began running, Vipre was the best. It uses heuristics to identify "bad behavior" and can lock down malware before it has had time to do any damage.

Yes, it isn't very good at scanning for malware, but it is great at keeping malware from doing any harm. Because it's strength comes from how applications "act", it is extremely good at catch new unidentified malware.

This is based on my readings, not first hand.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished

Dude, do you seriously have a clue what you are talking about? I do a lot of PC repairs, and Avast is one of the best AV's out there in my opinion. If someone does not have AV installed and they are a home user, I load that for them and get hardly any complaints. If I ever remove viruses/spyware, I do 4 scans, the 4th being avast, and it usually finds things other apps leave. Give Avast a try before you knock it. It's a solid app with good features, and very light. I have been running it a while on my own system at home and haven't had any major infections. I've seen people have it 6 months out of date and it still protected their pc's well enough to only need a quick cleanup b/c they'd been looking at questionable sites.

Also, I believe the CEO at Alwil Software(who makes Avast) used to be a Marketing Director for Symantec. Seems like it was on a blog or something a while back.

We have between 30 to 50 people a month on average come into my shops with viruses...

The 3 "A`s" as well call them in the trade....Avira, Avg ,Avast comprise around 80% of the machines with Viruses !

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Brett, you must have different types of users than us then. Virus removal is one of the biggest things. We usually will install avast if someone does not have AntiVirus or isn't satisfied with their AntiVirus. Usually they don't come back for a few months or more. Many usually come back for other work. Check the newest version out, they also have a remote assistance app included with it.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I gave Avast a try a month or so ago. From MY experience (YOUR experience may differ from mine), it's the furthest thing from being "light". The time it typically takes me to install PowerDVD10 with Norton installed is roughly 15-20mins (this is because I have a retail copy of PDVD8 and an "upgrade" for PDVD9 that is required before PDVD10 will install). With Avast installed, this process took more than an hour to complete. My typical install is done from DVD. With Avast running, the installers placed on DVD would not run and had to be transfered to my SSD. I don't consider an AV to be "light" when it more than triples the time it takes to install a single piece of software. It typically takes me 4-6hrs to install Windows and all my software. With Avast 6 installed, this time was expanded by almost a full day.

As for the "protection" provided by Avast...and Avira... I've yet to get a call from the users I have running either (at least from those that haven't uninstalled them). AVG on the other hand, I've had requests from users not to install it and the few users that have kept it any period of time experienced little to no real "protection" from it.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Wow. My experience is far from that. I've installed it on dozens of systems and have had few slowdowns. Not saying it's not possible, but I've personally never experienced that. I use it on my gaming PC as well and barely notice any performance hits if any. I will say one of my favorite things about Avast is the boot time scanner. I've seen that catch infections others leave many times.

What is everyone's opinions of Avira? Of course antivirus programs are not perfect, I know I recently cleaned a system that had been protected by Avira, it had a rogue that was telling the user the hard drive was failing. But I'm beginning to not like the fact that Avast wants you to create an account everytime you install it.

jhughes2466

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Brett,

Your real world experience aside if you look at detection rates vs false positives from reputable sites you'll see that Avast is always one of the most highly rated AV packages out there. The problem with Norton is low detection rate, although it does have a very low false positive detection rate as well.

But if your trying to tell people Norton is the best AV out there, I'm not sure what you do in IT other than scan for viruses but you really aren't up to date on how the algorithms work. Of course if you don't believe me you could check out the benchmarks for yourself.

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ Norton isn't even listed

Here is a company called AV Comparatives that does Antivirus testing independent of large licensing deals and here are the results.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_prot_2012a_en.pdf

I have fixed Viruses for well over 20 years....

I only recommend to my customers in my shops, software I believe in and USE...

ALL my machines both business and personal run Norton....

IMHO ...Norton is the best by far....

P.S...That comparative test DIDNT EVEN TEST NORTON...lol shows you how good they are if they didnt include the market leader... :)

G

P.S...That comparative test DIDNT EVEN TEST NORTON...lol shows you how good they are if they didnt include the market leader..

Actually the reason Norton is not included is because Symantec wanted to withdraw their product from the "File Detection Test" part of the testing. AV Comparatives rules state that products have to complete all testing to be included, as a result Symantec decided not to submit their product for testing in 2012.

Statement from AV Comparatives is here > http://www.av-comparatives.org/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=3807

Interestingly they did decide to be included in the AV Test product testing in 2012, the results of which may be an indication of why they withdrew from AV Comparatives. http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/mayjun-2012/

While Norton may be in the top 10% of AV products it is often outshone by Bitdefender & G-Data.

kewltoyz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I concur Microsoft Security Essentials works best with Windows 8 so far. No slow downs at all in performance or installation problems associated with other programs while using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.