WWYD? Help decide upgrade or new build.

lucas.demontigny94

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017
I've asked a similar question here and it helped narrow down my options a lot.
http://

I am considering buying this tomorrow I am going to a local gaming shop.
ASUS H110M
Intel Core i7 7700k
8GB DDR4-2133 Kingston
SSD 240GB + 1000GB HDD
GeForce GTX 1060 6Go
Gamer Bitfenix glass windowed case
600W Thermaltake 80 Plus
1428$ CAD + tax (no OS included)
can replace MOBO with MSI Z270-A PRO for 100$ more. (help with this, would it be worth it)
considering adding a 212 cooler for 45$
After taxes this looks like about 2000$ CAD (everything is a bit more expensive in Montreal, and i'd much rather not order online)

this is my current prebuilt
Motherboard: Aspire TC-605
Processor: Intel core i7 4770
Video card: AMD Radeon HD 8570 2 GB
8 GB RAM
1 TB Hard drive
300W PSU

what if i just got a bigger case , and add a 1080 8GB, a 600W PSU and a 256GB SSD,
Is it that easy to transfer my motherboard, CPU, HDD and RAM to a new gaming box. I would possibly stick a 212 cooler in there also. and this would cost about half of the build i am considering above (more money in my pockets = good thing)

I just want to game comfortably for the next few years.
so considering price vs performance what should i do, what would you do instead?

Solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbGT-u4i3EY
compares 3rd 4rth 6th and 7th gen

1080GTX likes 4 cores 8 threads of I7

The scores are so close that you just don't get much return for the cost over what you have in your 4th gen system going to 7th gen. With AMD Ryzen, intel is finally having to give out some performance in the next series or arcitecture which is why I recommend using haswell and 1080 gtx until icelake comes out since you would need a new motherboard, cpu and ddr4 ram. Coffeelake and z370 seems rushed and replaced very quickly with z390 and cannonlake. and the real improvement will be in icelake core. or AMD Zen 2 around the same time?
Wow!! You are all over the place.

1. I presume that your objective is better gaming and that you have some sort of a budget.

2. Your I7-4770 is still a very good processor, that might be the last thing I updated.

2. For gaming, the graphics card is all important. A GTX1060 6gb will be a very good card, entirely suitable for your I7-4770.

3. A GTX1060 needs only about a 450w psu. But, I would go stronger, perhaps to 550-600w.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Whatever you do, do not go cheap on a psu.
Depending on the model, thermaltake is not great.
Buy a tier 1 or 2 unit from a list such as this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Seasonic is always good.

4. Your current case has very little ventilation. While you could use it, I would go ahead and splurge on a case you love.
The bitfenix is very good with good ventilation.

At this point, I think you will be gaming very well.

You can decide if you need a stronger graphics card for fast action games, or, if you favor cpu intensive games such as sims, strategy or mmo games, then a cpu upgrade can be planned.

5. Today, I7-7700K is as good as it gets for gaming.
If you do go that route, buy a Z270 based motherboard to allow overclocking. Most will do 5.0 on good air.
Something like a noctua NH-U14s is perfect.

But, I suspect you will be doing well enough that the upcoming 6 core intel chips will be here before you need to make that decision.

6. Love a ssd for windows. But, buy quality. Samsung EVO performs better with a longer warranty.

Reuse your old hard drive for bulk storage.

lucas.demontigny94

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

Thanks a lot,

1) Budget is about 2000$ CAD
3) Wont cheap out on PSU agreed
4) Not only does it have little ventilation, it wont fit a bigger PSU or graphics card, this NEEDs to be changed
5) yes thank you
6) yeah i dont mind spending on an SSD

lucas.demontigny94

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

What about my Motherboard ATC 605.
It is easy to transfer to any other case (ATX)??

my ram is ddr3 so im assuming id also need a newr ddr4

and when you suggest using my old harddrive do you mean to get another one and have two 1 TB hard drives, or just keeping the one i have is good enough?

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Avoid the h110, has to be flashed first with a skylake cpu to even boot with a kaby lake. also H does not overclock, so a non-k chip would save money.

7th gen uses 2400 ddr4 stock speed, 6th gen uses 2133. but K chip with a Z board can do some of the higher speeds 2800+ with XMP.

7700k does not come with a cooler, so you need to get that hyper 212.

That being said, I think the smarter money is stay with the haswell you have, if that 8GB is one stick get a 2nd stick for dual channel and go with the better GPU 1080 GTX in a ITX form with 600W PSU and a SSD would go into your case, or get a new case with more clearance.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500414 an ITX version of the card, but it looks like it might touch the hard drive

upgrade procedure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRMpKUHL5VU

lucas.demontigny94

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

Thanks, the PC will be built at a shop.
Im a little iffy on mixing old technology.
Any thoughts on how my Motherboard may limit performance or future upgrades? It is a prebuilt..i think If i have to buy a new MOBO, i am buying a new build entirely

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
New case, new psu, old mainboard i7 cpu and ddr3 ram, add a 2nd stick of ddr3 maybe, new sata 2.5 inch 850 evo ssd, new sata cable, old hdd, old optical and the 1080 gtx for the best performance for the money.

Setup ssd with a fresh windows install, move over the files you want to keep, then clean off the hdd and use it for storage. Save the remainder of the budget and see what Icelake brings to the table with the new architecture. skipping coffeelake and cannonlake.

lucas.demontigny94

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

yes thank you precise answer

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbGT-u4i3EY
compares 3rd 4rth 6th and 7th gen

1080GTX likes 4 cores 8 threads of I7

The scores are so close that you just don't get much return for the cost over what you have in your 4th gen system going to 7th gen. With AMD Ryzen, intel is finally having to give out some performance in the next series or arcitecture which is why I recommend using haswell and 1080 gtx until icelake comes out since you would need a new motherboard, cpu and ddr4 ram. Coffeelake and z370 seems rushed and replaced very quickly with z390 and cannonlake. and the real improvement will be in icelake core. or AMD Zen 2 around the same time?

Solution

lucas.demontigny94

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

awesome ideally id do that
1 question i cant seem to get answered is this, maybe its a stupid one:
i bought the PC prebuilt from best buy, , does that any way prevent or limit me to put the motherboard in a different case?

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
From what I see no, the board is standard micro atx, but uses 2 slots instead of 4, the x1 over the x16, then the edge of the board, a graphics card will go into slot 2 and 3 as most are 2 slot wide, and micro atx can fit in the ATX case also, you will just have a lot of empty case under it slots 4 5 6 and 7.

Now that Dell clamshell has USB3 and card reader built into the mainboard and sits into a custom case. You can also move it, but you lose the functionality of those slots as nothing matches them.

lucas.demontigny94

Prominent
Aug 18, 2017

thanks a ton

TRENDING THREADS