[SOLVED] WWYD with 300$ : Ryzen 7 3800 OR Ryzen 5 5600?

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
My CPU budget right now is 300$ Mostly for gaming with some light graphic design. 32gb of ram and a Strix x570-i mobo.

Wait for the latest and greatest and get a Ryzen 5600 (6 cores Base clock 3.7 )
or
Pounce on a deal for a Ryzen 3800 (8 cores 3.9 base clock)?

I'm inclined to go for the 3800 for the higher clock speed and because there is no guarantee I will get a Ryzen 5 on launch day.

What would you do?

Solution
I'm inclined to go for the 3800 for the higher clock speed and because there is no guarantee I will get a Ryzen 5 on launch day.
19% (or greater) IPC of Ryzen 5000 CPU's should (if real) render the higher clock speed of a 3800 moot. And even Ryzen's max boost clocks don't really matter that much; it's how well it holds the in-between clocks when things get hot.

The question you need to answer: are you doing anything that has to have more 2 more cores/4 more threads? If JUST gaming is your concern, and assuming everything works out as the announcements and leaks say it should, the 5600 might be much better for you. If you work with content creation or productivity apps (rendering, video editing, etc) then the greater...
My CPU budget right now is 300$ Mostly for gaming with some light graphic design. 32gb of ram and a Strix x570-i mobo.

Wait for the latest and greatest and get a Ryzen 5600 (6 cores Base clock 3.7 )
or
Pounce on a deal for a Ryzen 3800 (8 cores 3.9 base clock)?

What would you do?
R7 3700x now. Base clock doesn't matter much, it's boost clock that is important. Late production 3700x are just as fast as 3800x for less money.

19% (or greater) IPC of Ryzen 5000 CPU's should (if real) render the higher clock speed of a 3800 moot. And even Ryzen's max boost clocks don't really matter that much; it's how well it holds the in-between clocks when things get hot.

The question you need to answer: are you doing anything that has to have more 2 more cores/4 more threads? If JUST gaming is your concern, and assuming everything works out as the announcements and leaks say it should, the 5600 might be much better for you. If you work with content creation or productivity apps (rendering, video editing, etc) then the greater core count of a 3800 MIGHT figure more prominently. But nobody will know with any certainty until the reviews come out in a few days.

Solution