Question X bracket

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hey everyone. I have a dell precision m6800. I am planning to upgrade it to gtx 980m.

I just have one question what kind of adhesive bond is used to stick the X bracket behind the mxm gpu ?

Because the card I am buying won't have X bracket installed already and I will have to remove the bracket from the gpu already in the system and put it to gtx 980m.

I've never seen any type of adhesive glue used in laptops aside from small amounts of hot glue or two sided adhesive tape. That doesn't mean it never is used, just that I haven't encountered it. Different manufacturers do things differently as do some niche product companies like Clevo.

Afraid I can't tell you for certain here BUT if it were me I'd probably want something that forms strong bonds to metal while still retaining some flexibility. Silicone based products might be a good choice. Silane based adhesives might be even better.

https://www.amazon.com/Catpalm-Adhesive-Multi-Function-Suitable-Jewelery/dp/B07LF1SPGZ

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
I've never seen any type of adhesive glue used in laptops aside from small amounts of hot glue or two sided adhesive tape. That doesn't mean it never is used, just that I haven't encountered it. Different manufacturers do things differently as do some niche product companies like Clevo.

Afraid I can't tell you for certain here BUT if it were me I'd probably want something that forms strong bonds to metal while still retaining some flexibility. Silicone based products might be a good choice. Silane based adhesives might be even better.

https://www.amazon.com/Catpalm-Adhesive-Multi-Function-Suitable-Jewelery/dp/B07LF1SPGZ
Actually, what happens is that there is some glue used so that the X bracket is attached to the GPU then the heatsink is used to screw to the card from the other side of the GPU which contains the gpu die.

Anyways I see people are giving bad reviews for the product you mentioned. Not sure if its ok to use or not.

Anyways thanks for the reply.

TRENDING THREADS