[SOLVED] X-Input controller is stuck on Player 2 when connected.

Raydge

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Hello. I bought a Genesis P65 controller yesterday and I can't get it to work correctly. When I connect the thing it gets stuck on Player 2 and won't budge. As you can guess, this way games can't recognize the controller input and I pretty much can't use it for anything. It's worth mentioning this gamepad is both DirectInput and XInput (it has a switch). When I turn it into DirectInput it's fine, works as one, but I have several qualms with using one such controller. It is the only gamepad connected to the PC, I've tried deleting and re-installing drivers, disabled and re-enabled through Device Manager, same with Devices and Printers, nothing I did worked for me. Other X-Input controllers I previously had did not display this problem, so I'm recognizing the possibility this controller itself is flawed. Please help? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Raydge

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Maybe it's something similar to what Xbox pad users have experienced.

There's a couple posters in this thread claiming to have solved it, and some have said poster #5's advice worked.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/540744934366738314/?l=greek

It seems to be a problem with not the pad so much as Windows being confused as to what the default device is.

I saw that post and tried to act on it, as I've said in the description above. Don't wanna adress the elephant in the room, but nothing worked. Plus, mine isn't an XBox controller, just another Xinput, and most importantly, it's wired.

I saw that post and tried to act on it, as I've said in the description above. Don't wanna adress the elephant in the room, but nothing worked. Plus, mine isn't an XBox controller, just another Xinput, and most importantly, it's wired.
It doesn't matter which gamepad it is, since this can happen with various ones, which indicates all the more it's Windows' detection method, not the pad itself.

Did you try uninstalling the other controller drivers until yours appear at the top of the list or as the only one? This kind of thing in Home Theater is referred to as the "hand shake", meaning methods used for components to play well with each other. It can be a finicky, trial and error process, but once they sync, the problem is solved.

Oct 17, 2020
I know this is an old thread, but doing a Google search on the problem will pull up this thread at the top of the results. I've had this problem, and the suggested solutions were only temporary fixes. I discovered something today that might offer an alternative solution (or maybe a hint at other solutions and causes). I post this here for anyone else landing on this thread through Google.

I had this problem months ago, and then it went away. It came back yesterday with a vengeance. I'd reboot my PC, my XInput would be player 1, but if I stopped using it and it powered down, it would come back up as player 2. I thought about why it would suddenly come back as a problem yesterday. The only change I made was switching my Windows 10 account from a local one to an internet one. When I made that change, Windows 10 had me sign back in, and my controller was back to player 1.

It didn't solve the problem permanently, but logging out of my Windows 10 account and back in is much faster than rebooting, and it's worked so far. I wish I knew how to solve it permanently.

Latest posts