[SOLVED] X-T20 Settings Retention Issue

Jsurfer90

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Hello,

I recently risked a purchased of a "used" X-T20 Fujifilm Camera from Ebay, no return allowed, limited product description, just under $500 (I should have moved on but alas). I noticed a problem with the camera that when I remove the battery and let it charge then after place in the camera again there is a high chance of being prompted to put in Language, Date and Time settings (and any custom settings will not have been retained). Doing some initial research, apparently the camera has an internal battery to retain these settings. Obviously since I got this not thru Fujifilm or an actual retailer I cant utilize any warranties. However, before I go thru trying to get a refund (seller had specified no returns on the product description), I want to exhaust any possible remedies first. Aside from that Camera is great lol.

One that I can think:
If I charge my camera thru a USB cord instead, will it also charge the internal battery of the camera? (What is the point of an internal battery if it can't be charged?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
I think most cameras are like this. Remove the main battery for too long, the internal drops the settings after a while.
My old Olympus C-3000z does this as well.

Solution?
Have more than one main battery. I do.

USAFRet

Titan
That is not unexpected.
There is an internal battery that will hold those setting...for a while.

While you are charging the main battery, that little internal one is running down.
Leave it too long (while you're charging the main battery), and it loses its settings.

I have an X-T1 and love it.

Jsurfer90

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
That is not unexpected.
There is an internal battery that will hold those setting...for a while.

While you are charging the main battery, that little internal one is running down.
Leave it too long (while you're charging the main battery), and it loses its settings.

I have an X-T1 and love it.
So the internal battery is charged only by the main battery?

So far 99.9% of the time the settings reset is when the main battery is removed and I am not quick about changing out the battery.
I also upgraded to firmware to now being able to backup 95% of the settings so I guess this issue has a work around now.