X1950XT and "phantom" stuck pixel

luigi99

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I have a new X1950XT, connected to my new Samsung widescreen (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001088). Everything seems to work fine, but when I load up CounterStrike Source (with every graphic setting maxed), I get what appears to be a stuck pixel in the upper left quadrant. It's blue, and stays that way... no amount of massaging seems to help!

The odd thing is, this stuck pixel doesn't exist any other time. All of bootup is fine, and I use the system for photo editing as well... no pixel problems there!

It might be a directx/driver problem... I can't tell because CS:S is the only game on the system.

Ideas? Suggestions?

You have:
Updated drivers?
Latest CS:2 Patch?
Tried the game on medium settings?
Played the game in windowed mode and then move the window around to see of the "stuck pixel" moves with it?

Try these things and let us know.

Also, Download a demo for another dx9 game, any game, and test it.

luigi99

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Updated Drivers? Check. (problem consistent between ATI and Omega driver)

Latest CS:2 Patch? Check.

I'll have a look at the game on lower settings, and will try the windowed trick too and get back to you. Thanks!

luigi99

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Aw shit. Windowed mode, and the pixel stays put on the screen... and I got to really tell that I just can't see it against my normal desktop, or even the images I edit. But put up an mspaint window and fill it with black, and I can see it.

Suggestions for fixing a stuck pixel, then?

chrisbrown

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Sounds like a dead pixel on your monitor, don't think there's much you can do about it sorry mate :? got a green one on my screen, you soon forget about it

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
yup sounds like stuck pixel..

and unfortunately, most LCD's have very demanding requirements for returning one with stuck/dead pixels. you will have to check your warranty closely to see if it qualifies for replacement.

lcdguy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
sorry to hear this, but you will probably not be able to get it replaced. As it's only one pixel. and it's a lit stuck pixel as apposed to a dead pixel

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Most LCDs have the odd dead pixel, it's no big deal really. As you said, you didn't notice it until you were in CS.

I'm afraid that they probably won't take it back either with just one dead one.

Just to be sure try running a dead pixel test;

http://www.laptopshowcase.co.uk/downloads.php?id=1

or the no downlaod version;

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html

I thought I had a dead pixel on one laptop, but found it was actually a piece of junk that got 'glued' to the glass layer. Just needed more elbow grease when cleaned.

Those tests should tell you quickly if it's the screen or not.

And unfortunately as has been mentioned, not 'fix' and replacement contracts are usually under the minimum of X number of dead pixels, X number of Stuck pixels issue.

However if you have a 'satisfaction' guarantee like BestBuy, then make up another reason for the return, find ANYthing int the description or something that you can use.

Heck tell them it's not bright enough and doesn't meet the true brigthness/contrast levels described, few monitors give good uniform illumination at anywhere near their specs.

Regarding the pixel policy, Reading NewEgg says this;

"There must be a minimum of 8 dead pixels to declare an LCD display defective and eligible for return."

lcdguy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
perhaps next time you should buy it from NCIX.com they have an additional warrnty you can buy for 30 CDN that gaurentees no dead pixels for 30 days, if you have one they will cross ship a replacement up to 3 times. after that you can pick another model or get a full refund :)

Actually I prefer FutureShop's return policy 90 days to just straight-up return it. 8)

I even replaced my laptop, and actually forgot to pack the battery when getting everything together in the original box, returned it on the spot for replacement, and came home to find the battery wedged in the couch, went back to FS the next day with the battery, and the guy said, don't worry, it's already returned to Gateway, we don't need it, you keep it for the inconvenience. 8O

Now that's a sweet return policy. :twisted:

I don't like FS and BB that much, but I love their return policies, almost as good as WalMart's.