X2 5000 black edition

MrToady

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Hi there. I,m a beginner when it comes to serious overclocking but I would like advice on a few decisions.

I have my 2605 MHz CPU overclocked to 3032.19 MHz on a multiplier of 13.5. and a FSB of 225 I also have 4Gb of OCZ PC7200 DDR2 memory which is rated at 900MHz. I had to raise the FSB to 225 to achieve this though.

However, I have recently read about memory dividers of 7 and 8, which are used to calculate the memory speed in relation to the multiplier.

My question is should I leave my settings as they are, or raise the multiplier to 14 and reduce the FSB to 217. This leaves the CPU at 3038 MHz but the memory only reaches 868 MHz. Using the memory divider however, gives an even result.

What will give me the best performance?

I haven,t tried to push it further but it is 100% stable with an idle temp of around 25 - 31 degrees depending on room temp. Its on a gigabyte board with a coolermaster tx2 cooler.

Thanks in advance guys (and dolls!!)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
My advice is to play around with it a little bit and see what works best. You should download SiSoft Sandra and/or Prime95 to stress-test each setup for stability and benchmarking.

In my experience with my 5000+ Black Edition, the max multiplier I can use is 16, max FSB 230. However, I was only able to use either of those with increased voltage (~1.43V), and never the two together (sadly). I've never tried pushing the voltage any higher than 1.43V, so I don't know just how much you can squeeze one before it pops. I've gotten mine to run as high as 3488MHz (16x218) at that 1.43V, but I typically go with 16x200 or 16x210. Don't ask why, I just do. They're both stable and everything works great, plus I don't have to play around with memory dividers or worry about my PCI clock, etc.

Mind you, this is all in an air-cooled system in a CoolerMaster RC-690 case with a ZEROTherm BTF-80 HS/Fan that typically only runs at 25-50% fan speed. No matter how hard I bash it, I've yet to see temps over 44C. (BIOS Smart Fan enabled - target temp 40C)

Man, my Athlon 5000+ @3.1 gets like 55C, but then I am using the stock heatsink at the moment and it is warm down here in Old El Paso.

Anyway it's best to start out leaving the FSB at the default 200 and raise your multiplier till you can't go any higher. When you raise your FSB you have to worry not only about your memory divider, but your HT speed as well. If you're going to raise your FSB (even though it's a base clock and not really an FSB ^_^) I would say to first lower your HT multiplier to 4, since that would allow the FSB to go up to 250 without the HT clock going over 1000. As for the memory divider, once you raise your multiplier past 14 the CPU changes the memory divider to 8 if you have your RAM set at DDR2 800 (400MHz x 2) and keeps 8 till you raise the multiplier past 16, in which case the divider goes to 9.

Basically the CPU bases what the memory divider should be based on the multiplier and an assumed FSB of 200, so raising the FSB will not automatically change the memory divider. You need to set your RAM the next step down to do that, so if you set your RAM in the BIOS to DDR2 667 (333x2) it will raise the memory divider to try and put the RAM speed at, or just under 333 assuming a 200 FSB. Of course, take care that your board doesn't also lower your memory timings automatically, since you will be increasing your FSB it will also increase the RAM speed and if it needs 5-5-5 to be stable at DDR2 800 it probably won't behave too well if you're running it at 4-4-4 :D.

MrToady

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for the info. I,ve got Sisoft Sandra so i,ll try a few benchmarks at different settings. I,m not looking for ultimate performance, but we always want that little bit extra, don,t we! ;-)

Cheers.