x2 GPU's plus ZXR plus MSI Z77-GD65 = I need a new MOBO

flomofo

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I just finished my build last month and just recently added a ZXR sound card; I no longer have the option to run dual SLI.

I want to re-use my new i-5 3570k but am wondering if its just a lot easier and cheaper to run SLI if I want to run close to max on most games. Plus the ability to add another card would be nice even if I just go with one powerful card now. My board is also used but still basically new, so hopefully I can get around 100 bucks for it.

Budget is from 100 to 300 dollars. I just don't need to waste money on things like sound processing or 40 USB slots.

Priorities:

1. Space for at least two to three large GPU's and the ZXR which uses one PCI slot as well as another empty slot on the case.

2. Some sort of cooling would be nice but not necessary if it is not generally effective, although I do plan to water cool my build later on and having something built into the motherboard would be nice.

3. My current build is white and black in color although if I can turn the LED's off on the board this shouldn't be much of an issue either way.

Solution
Here is the only option in your price range that I could find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131822

This is a workstation mother board with 4 fully spaced PCI-e slots that run 16x/16x(2 cards) or 16x/ 8x/ 8x(3 cards), or 8x/8x/8x/8x(all four slots populated). You will most likely need a full ATX tower to fit all your parts properly though.

PS: There are 5/6 other boards that will do it, but they are all $360 and higher from newegg so I didn't suggest either one. Maybe shop around and see if you can find one at a cheaper price.
Here is the only option in your price range that I could find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131822

This is a workstation mother board with 4 fully spaced PCI-e slots that run 16x/16x(2 cards) or 16x/ 8x/ 8x(3 cards), or 8x/8x/8x/8x(all four slots populated). You will most likely need a full ATX tower to fit all your parts properly though.

PS: There are 5/6 other boards that will do it, but they are all $360 and higher from newegg so I didn't suggest either one. Maybe shop around and see if you can find one at a cheaper price.

Solution

flomofo

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I appreciate it, I can bend the budget a little if it gets me a more consumer friendly/featured board.

Also got a line on trading my current setup for one running a ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO with matching chipset, but I believe that board also would not allow SLI with a sound card, although I am not sure.

Also I am running a Storm Stryker case so it is a full sized case.