[SOLVED] X200 thinkpad replacement - or repair?

prometeusz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
have been a 7 years' user of x200 until it recently started to get random freezes - even in bios.

I was advised by service it might be cheaper to buy another laptop, after this one was cleaned, thermal treated and found no sure cause of problem.

This is a hard decision because x200 has been good for everything incl. Music making, and it has a new battery and working ssd. Still, time to say goodbye and sell for parts, I suppose - unless you can advise otherwise.

With that in mind, I wonder if you could recommend a worthy successor. I have no new requirements, ie. 10 inch monitor, 4gb, ssd, dual core duo - that is all sufficient, although I would appreciate a hint on what the best bang for buck would be now.

I have recently switched from win7 to Linux mx - and am totally happy, so a Microsoft system is not a requirement, but if it were Windows, then 7.

This means that perhaps it might be better to buy a new budget laptop, in terms of life expectancy,, again, per dollar?

Solution
I am inclined to think 100 gbp should suffice if it can buy x200, which is more than enough. The other option 150gbp,if there is really added value.

Ideally, I would have this one repaired,but am concerned about the old parts that would be used.

I look forward to your advice.
if u are willing to stick with ur previous laptop and the repair price is close to the price of a new x200, then i will suggest u to get a new x200. But if u r looking for a better option around this price bracket, i will suggest a laptop with intel n4000 processor which is the best u will get under this price range, i also saw some renewed laptop under 150 pounds, so u can look into it; always get the 4 gb ram variant.
But one thing is that the processor...
I am inclined to think 100 gbp should suffice if it can buy x200, which is more than enough. The other option 150gbp,if there is really added value.

Ideally, I would have this one repaired,but am concerned about the old parts that would be used.

I look forward to your advice.
if u are willing to stick with ur previous laptop and the repair price is close to the price of a new x200, then i will suggest u to get a new x200. But if u r looking for a better option around this price bracket, i will suggest a laptop with intel n4000 processor which is the best u will get under this price range, i also saw some renewed laptop under 150 pounds, so u can look into it; always get the 4 gb ram variant.
But one thing is that the processor in the x200 is too old, so i will suggest u getting a laptop at least with a latest decent processor.

Solution

prometeusz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
What are the practical indicators of core 2 duo getting too old?

I am asking because have used the laptop for making music without issues. Eight tracks full of effects - not a problem.
Internet browsing, text editing, python, playing high resolution videos - all seamless.
I appreciate I might be missing something imminent.

What are the best laptop options with n4000 processor up to 100 gbp?

A few more comments, 7years ago, I found on the net a rank of processor power per dollar. At that time, core 2 duo was at the top of the list. This is what led me to thinkpads. Granted, the processor might not be in that rank anymore, if it is too old (still, don't know the indicators), but are you aware of such ranks? Can't find on Google.
Next, would be a way to find different brands and models of laptops with a given processor. Again, have tried on a ryzen processor that I found to be reviewed as good, but Google failed to point to webpages listing computers having that processor. Any ideas?

Still, the best help would be a specific model in a given price bracket. I trust many people here know the market inside out.

Last edited:
its actually not about the cores but the single thread and multi thread performances; the processor that x200 uses is core 2 duo P8600; https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...sor-p8600-3m-cache-2-40-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb.html
i also have a thinkpad with linux installed on it; its from the year 2004, it uses the intel pentium processor and still runs good... but the processor starts showing its age when a heavy app is opened...

Last edited:
Thonkist here, and I own the X201 as well. Have you considered replacing the motherboard? It's simply unscrewing all but the two rear screws on the bottom of the device, a bit of push and pull, and you'd have nearly freed the old motherboard from the X200.

Also, even here in the states, X201 is $60 while motherboard is half the price. No point in getting a new laptop if the old one was working well, in my opinion. Especially when it's an easy fix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-T...045415?hash=item2acfed0ca7:g:d88AAOSwj5FdJblZ

prometeusz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Sorry for a late answer. That is an intriguing tip, never thought of that before. If mobo is so easy to replace, I would be happy to get back to x200, especially, given that there is very little added value in x230, with all the stuck left click problems that can't be resolved.

The mobo you linked to is an x200/201 one - is that to say x200 could take a better processor? That is another thing that would not have occurred to me. I will have a read online.

Thanks a lot.