Question X299 Tomahawk - - - - Why is it suddenly not POSTing ... SOLVED

Nov 27, 2022
Good day,

Short Version: I have an X299 Tomahawk that will not start or POST. It has a red light on the CMOS button. After pressing it and then the start button, the computer blinks power to several Debug LEDs (cpu and ram) and immediately shuts off.

Long Version: I built this three years ago, it has sat and worked fine although it has had to put up with suspiciously poor grounding and voltage surges and drops (I typically keep it on a Battery/Surge protector because of this). The building we are in also has a Tesla solar panel system and battery. A few days ago, the solar panel people were coming to fix something, I shut the computer down and unplugged it before they arrived. Since then, I have not been able to restart the computer. I found out they increased the voltage from the solar panels a bit and my surge protector is lowering voltage to compensate. However, I tried using the computer on a 12 volt battery and inverter (a combination I have used before) and I get the same blinking lights and immediate shut-off. Also, the grounding seems worse since they worked on the solar panels.

Any ideas? I suspect my PSU may have problems now - it is a Thermaltake 850 Gold.

Other items: Intel i9 14 core processor, 64 Gb corsair ram, Nvidia M6000 graphics card.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2022
Well ... I am not sure what finally did it, but one of the last things I did was short circuit the JBAT1 pins to manually reset the CMOS. After that, a couple of tries requiring the reset/restart buttons and it was running again.