Question X299X Designare 10G build question

Jan 27, 2020
Hello

i have recently built a pc using the following parts,
Gigabyte X299X designare 10g
intel 10900x cpu
g.skill trident z royal series RAM (4 x 16 GB)
corsair hx1000 PSU
corsair h150i pro RGB AIO cooling
“I have not yet added a graphics card” that is why I did not include it while submitting this form. I also Do Not Have Access to Bios and I wasn’t able to mention that either.

So far I still did not buy a monitor and that is why I was planning to use a TV to check my new build. This is when I realized that the TV only supports HDMI input and my motherboard has only DisplayPort outputs. That is why I purchased an adapter that will convert an HDMI cable to DisplayPort.
so I connected one side of the HDMI cable to the TV, and the other side of the HDMI cable to the adapter, and then I connected the adapter (which is a DisplayPort) to the back of my case (my motherboard output)

problem is that I am NOT receiving any signal or any display on the TV. Any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

Is the problem the port that I am connecting the cable to? Or is it that my motherboard does not have onboard graphics and I MUST buy a GPU?

in the X299X Designare 10G manual (page 10 and page 21) it is mentioned that the board has onboard graphics, what confuses me, is that why doesn’t the DisplayPort work if the board has onboard graphics.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x299x-designare-10g_e_1002.pdf

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello

i have recently built a pc using the following parts,
Gigabyte X299X designare 10g
intel 10900x cpu
g.skill trident z royal series RAM (4 x 16 GB)
corsair hx1000 PSU
corsair h150i pro RGB AIO cooling
“I have not yet added a graphics card” that is why I did not include it while submitting this form. I also Do Not Have Access to Bios and I wasn’t able to mention that either.

So far I still did not buy a monitor and that is why I was planning to use a TV to check my new build. This is when I realized that the TV only supports HDMI input and my motherboard has only DisplayPort outputs. That is why I purchased an adapter that will convert an HDMI cable to DisplayPort.
so I connected one side of the HDMI cable to the TV, and the other side of the HDMI cable to the adapter, and then I connected the adapter (which is a DisplayPort) to the back of my case (my motherboard output)

problem is that I am NOT receiving any signal or any display on the TV. Any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

Is the problem the port that I am connecting the cable to? Or is it that my motherboard does not have onboard graphics and I MUST buy a GPU?

in the X299X Designare 10G manual (page 10 and page 21) it is mentioned that the board has onboard graphics, what confuses me, is that why doesn’t the DisplayPort work if the board has onboard graphics.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x299x-designare-10g_e_1002.pdf

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Your CPU, 10900x, does not have onboard graphics. You will need a GPU.

Your cpu doesn't have integrated graphics. Discrete graphics card is necessary.

Display Port connectors on motherboard are DP IN ports. They are used to activate motherboard USB-C display outputs.
Please read user manual of your motherboard carefully (pages 21-22).

Reactions: bmockeg
Jan 27, 2020
Your CPU, 10900x, does not have onboard graphics. You will need a GPU.
But based on the manual, my motherboard has on board graphics. Isn’t that enough? I’m a bit confused.
My assumption is that, even if my cpu doesn’t have integrated graphics, still my motherboard alone will handle it since it has on board graphics.
Is this correct?
It would be great if you can explain to me what it means that my motherboard has onboard graphics.

But based on the manual, my motherboard has on board graphics. Isn’t that enough? I’m a bit confused.
My assumption is that, even if my cpu doesn’t have integrated graphics, still my motherboard alone will handle it since it has on board graphics.
Is this correct?
It would be great if you can explain to me what it means that my motherboard has onboard graphics.
There is NO SUCH THING as on board graphics in a motherboard. Graphic capabilities are handled by either a CPU with integrated graphics processing or a discrete Graphics Processing Unit. The motherboard is simply the avenue that the integrated graphics on the CPU is used through the included VGA, DVI, HDMI or DP port.

As Skynetrising explained above, the DisplayPort on your motherboard is not even an “out” connecting as NO x299 CPU has onboard GPU compatibility. The connection is an “IN” port. If you want any display capability you will need to purchase a separate discrete GPU.