X360: Backwards capability only with HD add-on?

Anyone else read about this? I believe it's more fact than rumor.

And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be handled?

Weird.

Billy J. Dancefloor wrote:
> Anyone else read about this? I believe it's more fact than rumor.
>
> And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be
handled?

> Weird.

Well, how could it have it without the HD? I mean, Xbox games need the
cache and lots of room for the saves

theone

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> Billy J. Dancefloor wrote:
>
>>Anyone else read about this? I believe it's more fact than rumor.
>>
>>And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be
>
> handled?
>
>>Weird.
>

> Well, how could it have it without the HD? I mean, Xbox games need the
> cache and lots of room for the saves

xbox barely uses the hard drive for cache and save games take up a
fraction of its space.

> Jeremy Reaban wrote:
>> Billy J. Dancefloor wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone else read about this? I believe it's more fact than rumor.
>>>
>>>And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be
>>
>> handled?
>>
>>>Weird.
>>

>> Well, how could it have it without the HD? I mean, Xbox games need the
>> cache and lots of room for the saves
>>

> xbox barely uses the hard drive for cache and save games take up a
> fraction of its space.

But in a lot of cases, the saves are still larger than the standard XBOX
memory card.

Developers are going to have to work on that...

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:51:42 -0400, "Billy J. Dancefloor"
<bjd@com.net.org> wrote:

>Anyone else read about this? I believe it's more fact than rumor.
>
>And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be handled?
>
>Weird.

There have been rumors circulating for a while now that xbox 360 would
be available in various configurations.

The latest rumor I've heard is that they will offer a deluxe version
that will support Microsoft's WebTV and since it will have a hard
drive, it may also be the only version that has backwards
compatibility.

The other, less likely possibility is that MS will release a HD
upgrade that will work on any version of the 360. While backwards
compatibility may be an incentive to buy the upgrade, it's unlikely it
will find much use beyond allowing you to play your old xbox games.
Just look at the ps2 add on HD for an idea of what to expect if that
happens.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:55:54 -0500, "Jeremy Reaban"
<trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Billy J. Dancefloor wrote:
>> Anyone else read about this? I believe it's more fact than rumor.
>>
>> And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be
>handled?
>>
>> Weird.
>
>Well, how could it have it without the HD? I mean, Xbox games need the
>cache and lots of room for the saves

From what I've read, very few games actually even use the HD. Even
the ones that do, probably only use a very small percentage of the HD.

There has been some talk that the 360 will support some type of flash
media, so that may provide the space necessary to emulate the HD.

Billy J. Dancefloor wrote:

> And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be handled?

With the hard drive in place, maybe the "custom soundtracks" will actually
just be a music player that essentially layers over any game, so that you
can listen to whatever music you want, though it won't actually change
tracks automatically with each new race in a racing game, for example.

Custom soundtracks without the hard drive... one might speculate that the
Xbox 360 will have Xbox Extender/Xbox Music Mixer functionality built in, so
that you can stream music off a PC even if you don't have the HDD.

Here's a kooky theory though... maybe the default version of the Xbox 360,
and the only one available at launch, will have a 20 GB removable HDD as
standard equipment. Just speculatin'. :)

-Z-

theone

TheLightsAreOn wrote:
>>Jeremy Reaban wrote:

>>>handled?

>>>Well, how could it have it without the HD? I mean, Xbox games need the
>>>cache and lots of room for the saves
>>>

>>xbox barely uses the hard drive for cache and save games take up a
>>fraction of its space.
>>

> But in a lot of cases, the saves are still larger than the standard XBOX
> memory card.
>
> Developers are going to have to work on that...

they could put a cheap 128MB flash drive in there, problem solved :).
I'm not saying I like it.

theone

Imperium wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:55:54 -0500, "Jeremy Reaban"
> <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Billy J. Dancefloor wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone else read about this? I believe it's more fact than rumor.
>>>
>>>And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be
>>
>>handled?
>>
>>>Weird.
>>
>>Well, how could it have it without the HD? I mean, Xbox games need the
>>cache and lots of room for the saves
>>

> From what I've read, very few games actually even use the HD. Even
> the ones that do, probably only use a very small percentage of the HD.
>
> There has been some talk that the 360 will support some type of flash
> media, so that may provide the space necessary to emulate the HD.

yup.

theone

Zackman wrote:
> Billy J. Dancefloor wrote:
>

>>And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be handled?
>

> With the hard drive in place, maybe the "custom soundtracks" will actually
> just be a music player that essentially layers over any game, so that you
> can listen to whatever music you want, though it won't actually change
> tracks automatically with each new race in a racing game, for example.

wouldn't that be the same as playing music on your stereo with the xbox
volume turned down?

> Zackman wrote:
>> Billy J. Dancefloor wrote:
>>

>>>And given this point, how are custom soundtracks going to be handled?
>>

>> With the hard drive in place, maybe the "custom soundtracks" will
>> actually just be a music player that essentially layers over any
>> game, so that you can listen to whatever music you want, though it
>> won't actually change tracks automatically with each new race in a
>> racing game, for example.
>

> wouldn't that be the same as playing music on your stereo with the
> xbox volume turned down?

This is what I do, but NO it is not the same. Don't Custom Soundtracks
REPLACE the ingame music, but still have sound effects in place?

theone

TheLightsAreOn wrote:
>>Zackman wrote:

>>>With the hard drive in place, maybe the "custom soundtracks" will
>>>actually just be a music player that essentially layers over any
>>>game, so that you can listen to whatever music you want, though it
>>>won't actually change tracks automatically with each new race in a
>>>racing game, for example.
>>

>>wouldn't that be the same as playing music on your stereo with the
>>xbox volume turned down?
>>

> This is what I do, but NO it is not the same. Don't Custom Soundtracks
> REPLACE the ingame music, but still have sound effects in place?

Oh yeah, they replace the in game music, but what you said sounds like
the former, specifically the ability to NOT change tracks between new
races which is closer to what you're doing.

theOne wrote:

> Oh yeah, they replace the in game music, but what you said sounds like
> the former, specifically the ability to NOT change tracks between new
> races which is closer to what you're doing.

Some games will probably offer that. But "custom soundtracks in every game"
might be misleading... it might just be your music played overtop of
whatever is there. Though maybe each game will be coded to allow you to turn
off in-game music/soundtracks altogether. I dunno really, I'm just talking
out of my ass.

-Z-

>From what I read the next XBOX will not be backwards compatible, since
it isn't based on an IBM system. It uses an older version of the Apple
G5 processors (or was it the G4??), which is a completely different
architecture. It's like trying to juice apples in an orange press. They
may be round and the same size, but you're not going to end up with any
juice!

Correct me if am wrong, but from waht I have read in the past the
chances are very slim that your old XBOX games will work on the next
generation one.