X360 mystery...why is the volume display on all the time?

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
hello. i have a X360 that has been dropped by a client. it now shows that little volume control all the time. since the display had a crack from the drop, i'm thinking that replacing the screen would fix it. before ordering the part, i took off the screen completely and used the HDMI out on another monitor. that small volume display is still there on the upper left -- the same place of the screen! what is causing that display? BTW, the keyboard is showing the volume being muted (amber light on the F key) i can bring up the volume on the task bar and drag the sound to 100% and the volume does come up, but the minute i let go of the slider, it automatically slides back to 0%. one other thing. for giggles, i did a reset of the whole system, and the volume thing was GONE on the very first blue setup screen...then it came back during the next few sign in screens...

UPDATE -- just noticed the keyboard is also acting hinky, like something is holding a button down every once in a while. looks like i've got to take the whole thing apart and look for more damage!

going to drink now. it might help...maybe throwing it again? :)

thanks for any ideas.
berbes

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
BTW, the keyboard is showing the volume being muted (amber light on the F key) i can bring up the volume on the task bar and drag the sound to 100% and the volume does come up, but the minute i let go of the slider, it automatically slides back to 0%
I had similar on my keyboard on my PC but well, answer for mine was unplug keyboard. it was just a software bug for me. Its possible key is stuck down.