X370 motherboard for Ryzen 7 1700x

Oct 7, 2018
My current PC setup is pretty old. I have 10 years old PC with Intel Core2Duo E6850 and 8GB of DDR2 Ram which is not sufficient for me right now. I am studying Computer Science on 3rd year, and i'm looking for powerful machine, since my projects are getting bigger and power demanding.

I use it only for programming stuff (also multicore) and web surfing with a lot of tabs. Virtual Machines, few JetBrains IDE and local web server running in background should not be hard tasks for my next setup. I don't plan to game hard and often on this machine, but only occasionally (CallOfDuty 4 MW is enough for relax brain for me ;) ).

There are some parts i would like to leave from previous setup :
GPU : Gigabyte Radeon RX550
Power supply : SilentiumPC Vero M2 600W
SSD : Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Case : Modecom C707 (Midi Tower) (OLD but still good :D )

I plan to buy new motherboard, ram, and cpu with cooler. I made some research and i suppose this setup could be good for my needs :

CPU - (270$) : AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Cooler (40$) : SilentiumPC Fera 3
RAM (160$) : 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 3000MHz
MoBo (120$) : ASRock X370 Pro4 (???)

I will buy it in my local PC store morele.net in Poland.

I only wonder if this motherboard is enough good for this CPU. Previously, I was thinking about MSI B350 Tomahawk which is often recommended, but I read that x370 chipset should be better for 1700x cpu, especially if I will plan to overclock it in the future. Moreover I read some good reviews of this ASRock X370 Pro4.

So the question is should I buy any other, maybe better motherboard, for this setup? F.e. MSI X370 Gaming Plus / PRO, Asus Prime X370-A or Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ... or cheaper like Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 3?

An x370 chipset is often preferable for use with an 8 core cpu such as the 1700x. They have a better power delivery system which may enable you to push the cpu a tad further with better voltages compared to a b350 board. I'm using a strix x370 board with my 8 core 1600, so it behaves more like a 1700, and I can push it to 4ghz with around 1.35v.
The Asrock board you've chosen is pretty good- the main issue was the bios was poor at first but I'm sure this has been addressed with all the updates throughout its release.