Question X370 or B450

Neither are particularly well suited for overclocking 3rd gen Ryzen if you're looking at the 8 core or higher models. Of those two, given the better memory compatibility, much as I hate to say this when it comes to the Tomahawk boards, it's probably the better option.

I will mention though and I'm sure somebody will be along soon to contradict me, that I and others have seen random but frequent unexplained board failures on the Tomahawk and Mortar boards. Some people have had no troubles with them. Others have not had the same experience and it's been at higher than normal ratios for any mainstream board model. Mainly, I believe it to be poor quality control by MSI on their mid to lower tiered boards.

Most B450 boards will be a better choice than most X370 or B350 boards though, pretty much across the board.

X370 Memory topology is still a problem for faster RAM frequencies, it was greatly improved in 400 chipset series MBs, that didn't change much with 3rd gen Ryzen in those MBs. Ryzen, specially 2nd and 3rd gen thrive with faster RAM, it's pity not to take advantage of it.

Banetrox

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
X370 Memory topology is still a problem for faster RAM frequencies, it was greatly improved in 400 chipset series MBs, that didn't change much with 3rd gen Ryzen in those MBs. Ryzen, specially 2nd and 3rd gen thrive with faster RAM, it's pity not to take advantage of it.
I bought 2 sticks of 3000mhz tridentZ
Is that enough?
Also I cannot understand which mobo is better yet :p

X370 is going to lack the fast memory support and addition of support for PCIe 4.0 devices that some B450/X470 will have. Contrary to what was mentioned earlier, X370 is not superior to most half decent B450 boards and certainly less so when compared to X470.

Your 3000mhz sticks are fine for the Tomahawk, for what that's worth, and at least three people here have already said that given the choice between the two boards you offered, the Tomahawk was the better choice, including myself, so I'm not sure what there is to still be confused about?

Reactions: Banetrox

Banetrox

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
X370 is going to lack the fast memory support and addition of support for PCIe 4.0 devices that some B450/X470 will have. Contrary to what was mentioned earlier, X370 is not superior to most half decent B450 boards and certainly less so when compared to X470.

Your 3000mhz sticks are fine for the Tomahawk, for what that's worth, and at least three people here have already said that given the choice between the two boards you offered, the Tomahawk was the better choice, including myself, so I'm not sure what there is to still be confused about?
I bought the tomahawk :)
Also the memory was 3200mhz.
Thank you all for your help!