netburst

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Guys, I have read in several sites that the X38 mobo's comes with support for CF & SLi dual graphics setup... can any 1 here conform this? well those remarks comes from tech report and inquirier and both of which i dun really thrust.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
I dont think anyone knows if x38 will support SLI. There was talk on inquirer that it woul, then it wouldn't and then again it would. Well all know about inquirer.

netburst

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
But take into consideration that Intel and nVidia had some sort of an agreement has made that news kindda plausable. And if it would actually be produced, then that chipset would most definately get the most attention from the market... I know i would get 1 if it supports both SLi and CF.. talk about flexibility.

LoopyChicken

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
I'm hoping it does.. this is the only piece of hardware I have left that I'm waiting on to build my PC... I'm not interested in the board unless it supports SLI.. so I hope I'm not waiting in vain.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
X38 supports Sli and CF at the moment though, it is up to motherboard makers to include the Sli functionality, Foxconn has announced their X38 board will support Sli

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

It's the nvidia drivers that also need to support the boards as well.

Which is why I shall remain cynical, although there were rumors a few weeks back that some bigwigs from Intel & Nvidia had been seen in the same place at the same time and they were not stabbing each other in the face with rusty spoons!

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Didn't Nvidia say they weren't going to allow anyone to use SLI unless there was an Nforce chipset present on the mobo?

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007

They may not be able to insist on it though. If people are going to buy a new MB that doesn't do SLI, then Nvidia may well find people buying ATI cards :)

Choice 1) Only allow SLI on nForce and people will buy ATI cards instead
OR
Choice 2) Sell 2x GPU to be plugged into X38 or nForce if a user picks it (unlikely, but they may get lucky)

Considering that CF 2900XT will generally whoop 8800GTX Ultra for not that much extra $$$, the market may dictate that they allow SLI on nForce, or loose GPU market share.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Of course the X38 will support SLI, even the 975X supported SLI. The real question is whether SLI will support the X38, since nVidia has always crippled its drivers to block SLI on Intel chipsets. For SLI to work, nVidia and Intel have to reach an agreement, from which nVidia would probably want to receive certain technology or marketing concessions.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
remember the asrock chipset emulator that ran a driver which emulated part of the nforce chipset that nvidia detected so it could run sli? people were getting the emulator driver, and using it on ati chipset board and intel chipset boards, unfortunately it doesn't work wiht an y drivers after the 91.00 drivers.. meaning that sli on other chipsets is quite easy.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
The SLi thing that is on the X38 boards is SLi Memory, by Intel renamed Extreme Memory, a way to improve the RAM settings on nVidia 5 and 6 series motherboards(and soon the X38). You might have heard of SLi ready RAM.

I doubt you will find graphics SLi on Intel motherboards, at least not before either nVidia or Intel clearly says so themselves.

nicolasb

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Some board manufacturers, notably Foxconn, were actually advertising SLI support on their X38 boards at this year's Computex show. However, Intel and Nvidia and Nvidia have since had a bit of a falling-out, so this is no longer certain.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Odds are we'll have to wait until someone makes modded 8-series supporting SLI drivers that open up SLI on Intel chipsets. I know that they have 6 and 7 series working on 975X with modded drivers.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007

That's a real shame... SLI on X38 would have really shaken up the market...

If Crysis and other DX10 games are as demanding as has been speculated and if the 2nd gen cards lack any major real performance increase over the current cards 1st gen cards (i.e. G92 is a refresh rather then next gen), I'll be looking at a crossfire solution... I'm sure others will as well.

Good for AMD/ATI. Bad for Nvidia.

Then again, if the G92 is as good as what is being speculated, I'll be getting one of those unless ATI gets something good to market at the same time

Good for Nvidia. Bad for AMD/ATI.

I REALLY want to build a new system, but am holding off.... The wait is killing me...

tehlexinator

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Bah, it still supports it via hardware. Custom drivers will come out that will allow you to have SLI on your X38 board. Hackers did it before and they will do it again if the need is there... And it will be since your only other option is to get AMD/TI cards and Xfire them.

But yeah I checked with marketing at Gigabyte and they said that they will not support SLI. But then again these are the same people that said yes just a few weeks ago...