X38's don't have a floppy connector. How do you flash.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ok. I am shopping for my next build mobo. I see many of the x38's don't have a floppy connector. I havent built a pc in a couple of years. I know floppies are dead, but that is the only way i know to flash. How is flashing and other utilities being run? USB? external floppy?

I also notice the x38's don't have keyboard or mouse plugs. That is easy to figure out. Either use USB or wireless.

Before i buy a mobo, i need to know how to update the bios. Occasionally, the bios needs updating out of the box.

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
USB flash drive - HP has a utility that will format your flash drive as a boot disk, and you can add any programs you need for DOS afterwards. Most difficult part is setting your BIOS correctly, but that is not that hard. Google it and it should come up.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
USB makes sense. I have flashed thru windows, actually last week. I am alway concerned with the first start up of a new build. I may not have windows installed yet.

Thanks

really nice ride.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I'm personally more confident in a Windows-based flash since it's less likely that you will crash doing that than the chances of a floppy being damaged while wiping the BIOS. I've always had good dealings with a Windows-based flash, but I've had some good floppies go bad after saving the update to the disk.

USB flash drive or CD would be good too, as mentioned above ;)

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
CD flashing. duh, i just didnt think of that. I guess burn the bios to a cd-r on another pc. then boot to it.

i am thick headed some times.

Althoug sometimes when installing windows, you need the windows install disk in and a floppy. I guess that is when a USB would be handy.

thanks

praeses

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
And if you're still in a pinch, you can always flash off of a freshly formatted harddrive or boot over the network (PXE).

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

Go to NewEgg and check out either the ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard or DFI LP LT X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard. It has the FDD connection and has the old style mouse and keyboard connections. Plus you can update bios using floppy disk, usb disk, cd/dvd disk or by automatic window updater.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127033

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136042