Question X399 Auros Gaming 7 RAM Issues

Jul 20, 2019
Good day all,

Back story here, skip down to ~~~~ for TL;DR

Sort of a much-late post. Have had a build of mine, running TR2 for some months now and finally gotten around to fixing an issue I don't particularly need fixed but, it's gone on long enough-

So I've purchased a 32GB kit of RAM, broken up into 8GB sticks because of trauma from past faulty modules. Had some issues with the first kit a while back(faulty RAM modules) and a few BSODs later I had another kit on my door, bit of a mixup and handwavium with the return process, and I find myself with two 32GB kits. Some sticks are dicey, rig won't even boot or POST with a few of them, so those are out- but as of earlier today it occurred to me that I could probably squeeze 6 good(or good enough) sticks out of the whole shebang and boost my capacity overall. Some MemTest passes later, and I have my 6, properly positioned per the manual, loaded in and ready to go.

Now, the issue is that since Day 1 with this rig, I've actually- "only", had 16GB, where there should be 32GB. I've no idea how to view the RAM quantity in BIOS, every time I head to the Setup the best I can see are frequencies and XMP profiles, never current capacities or so.

Since the changes I mentioned above, earlier today- it's gotten even worse. In a system which should be rocking 48GB(6x8GB) modules, I'm still at the same old 16GB. Now, what throws me even futher, a quick pop into HWMonitor confirms that, on some level, something is registering all 6 sticks

View: https://imgur.com/a/Zm0PJ1k

I've updated my Bios in an attempt to gain access to more tools or alleviate the issue, to F12g, from the previous F10 version I'd been running till now. Nada. XMP has been disabled, also since Day 1- and I've gone into System Configuration and ensured under Boot that Maximum Memory is toggled off... Stumped. Any suggestions?

~~~~~~

Only 16GB showing of 48GB installed. Sticks all the same. BIOS settings stock, no XMP, no boosting. System Config Maximum Memory is off, Every monitor/system info panel shows 16GB installed. HWMonitor displays all 6 sticks as being active/connected. Ideas?

Cheers, all.

Edit: I understand Reserved Memory/Hardware Reserved or so on, this is more that, only 2 out of 6 sticks are being utilized at all, not that I want the entire 48GB working.

Jul 20, 2019
No part number or link to memory.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Mixing up multiple kits typically gives results such as you have now.

Memory, using( initially, until issues arose) all sticks that came in their respective kits, has never been 32 though, from Day 1.

Modules are Corsair CMW32GX4M4C3000C15.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1XCKWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also made records as to which sticks were sourced from which kit, so I can load up a "set" to test, if that would help. Though that is what was done initially, at any rate.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
full system spec? exact model please

Motherboard: Gigabyte X399 Auros Gaming 7
BIOS: F12g(Latest)
CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro
RAM: Corsair CMW32GX4M4C3000C15 (32GB 8GBx4, DDR4 3000mHz, C15)
GPU: Asus ROG 1050ti OC Edition
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
SSD: Intel Optane 900P, Samsung 860 EVO
HDD: Western Digital 4TB Gold