Question X399 Motherboard chipset LED turns on and goes off...

Mar 20, 2019
Hi all,

First and foremost, apologies if this post is in the incorrect category. I have tried my best to post it where I thought it was relevant.

I am in the process of building a new rig and I decided to test the motherboard, before I go any further by simply connecting the 24 Pin connector and the 8 Pin CPU connector and just switching on the PSU to see if the board lights up. This is because I am going to be building a hardline build and want to make sure the board is working.

So as I turn the switch from 0 to 1 on the PSU, the chipset led lights up for approximately 1 second or less and goes off. However, the RGB lights on the RAM turn on. And the fault/error code LED doesn't turn on either.

I do have the CPU installed, but no cooler on it. Instead, have a phanteks water block. Guessing this shouldn't be an issue as I'm not trying to boot the PC up just yet (still doing the tubing runs)

Oh and i'm bread boarding, so I can rule out the stand off / grounding issue.

My build:

Thermaltake View 91 RGB
X399 Designare EX (TR4)
AMD Ryzen 2920X (12 Cores)
Corsair 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
250GB 2x NVMe Samsung Evo 970
Antec 1300 Watt Modular PSU
Thermaltake 480 and 420 Full Copper Rads

Check the video of of when it lights up and goes off for a better understanding of what I am talking about.

View: https://youtu.be/jWAT6MD3Iks

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I do have the CPU installed, but no cooler on it. Instead, have a phanteks water block.
If you don't connect the cpu_fan header with any fan, the MB will think you don't have any cooler so that the PC will not boot up, and will turn on 1 sec then turn it off.
So connect the fan into the cpu _fan header, then try again.

Mar 20, 2019
If you don't connect the cpu_fan header with any fan, the MB will think you don't have any cooler so that the PC will not boot up, and will turn on 1 sec then turn it off.
So connect the fan into the cpu _fan header, then try again.

Just want to make sure I explained properly. I do NOT want to boot the computer up just yet. I have a cooler/fan coming today that I will use to test everything before I install the hard tubing. So I really wanted was to ensure the motherboard is not DOA, cos I wouldnt want to do all the tube runs and then find the board is dead. So really wanted to know why that light flicked on and off. Will try your suggestion later today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks a bunch.

Mar 20, 2019
That is not correct. I have the PSU plugged in to the wall socket. All I am doing is flicking the switch from 0 to 1 on the back of the PSU. That gives "power" to the board. But I am not pressing the power/on button so why should it even try to boot?