[SOLVED] x4 8gb or x2 16gb Ram Kit? Asus AMD Build

SampsonNation

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Hey all,

I recently upgraded my computer's internal parts. I currently have 16gb of ram and I'm finding that I'm in need of some more ram. It's a shame because I just purchased the x4 8gb kit a little over a month ago. I'm trying to figure out what is the best directions to increase my computer's ram. Should I opt for removing the current ram I have and replacing it with x2 16gb of ram sticks, or just add another 2 sticks to what I currently have? I just want to put in the most efficient ram kit that the computer could benefit from. That is my primary concern.

I was reading on this forum several different opinions on how the ram is utilized by AMD. I understand my motherboard is not quad channel. I just can't come to the conclusion if for my AMD specifically it'll be more efficient to use 2 slots vs 4.

Here is what I currently have:

• Windows 10 64-bit
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3600C16D-16GVK
  • AMD Ryzen 3900x
  • ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
  • GPU: 1080 TI.

Solution
There is a possibility you may need to as I mentioned but this is not specific to ryzen, rather any pc since forever. You can avoid any performance difference without changing any settings other than voltage. More voltage does not decrease performance and it's small enough to not worry about. If you are thinking power efficiency, you wouldn't even notice a few cents on your power bill.
Performance wise it's the same. Mixing pairs isn't guaranteed to work but I have not encountered a time it did not work with matching models. Filling all slots may need a boost in ram voltage. You keep mentioning efficiency but it doesn't make any sense.

SampsonNation

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
I remember reading a post on here (I think it was) that and I quote "Ryzen gets a faster boost when using 2 ram slots". I'd have to search and find it specifically. I was under the impression that Ryzen benefits more in ram speed if 2 slots are used instead of 4. I wasn't sure how true that was.

SkyNetRising

"On dual channel motherboard 2 ram modules give the best performance.
Going to 4 modules requires Command Rate increase from 1T to 2T and that causes slight performance hit.
Not that it would be very noticeable, but it's there.
Also in some cases going from 2 to 4 ram modules will require to change some other ram performance settings (increase timings, lower frequency, increase voltage, etc.)."

Last edited:
There is a possibility you may need to as I mentioned but this is not specific to ryzen, rather any pc since forever. You can avoid any performance difference without changing any settings other than voltage. More voltage does not decrease performance and it's small enough to not worry about. If you are thinking power efficiency, you wouldn't even notice a few cents on your power bill.

Solution