Question x470+2600x or B550+3600?

Oct 6, 2020
I need help choosing what mobo+cpu configuration is best for my first ever pc build. My current build has a MSI MPG B550 mobo (that I got for a really good price) and I am planning to get the 3600x for my cpu, however my friend said he could sell me his Gigabyte x470 Aorus ultra gaming mobo, his 2600x cpu, his cooler, as well as his case fans which would bring my build down significantly in price. My friend also thinks that I could get 2-3 more years out of his components. Is this a smart move? Because I was able to get an evga xc3 3070, it seems as though I wouldn't really need that powerful of a cpu because, at higher resolutions (which is what I am trying to go for), the gpu would be the one handling all the work and so upgrading to a 5000 series cpu later down the line wouldn't really be needed, and upgrading to a 3600x instead would be sufficient. What are your guy's thoughts on what I should do as this is my first ever build and I am a novice who is trying to make the smartest choices for both saving money and future upgradability.

X470+2600x is stupid if you already have a B550. Performance and mileage wise, 3600x is way better. Although if he can sell, everything other than the mobo and CPU, that's probably best financially, although I'd still say 3600x is better, it depends on the price difference. However if you already have a B550, I don't see why you should get the X470

Oct 6, 2020
X470+2600x is stupid if you already have a B550. Performance and mileage wise, 3600x is way better. Although if he can sell, everything other than the mobo and CPU, that's probably best financially, although I'd still say 3600x is better, it depends on the price difference. However if you already have a B550, I don't see why you should get the X470
Well I just bought the b550 yesterday so I'd still be able to return it. Also companies are supposedly now allowing 5000 series to be supported on x470 and b450 mobos with a bios update. And i'd be saving like $130 after tax if I go with his cpu and mobo but idk enough about this stuff to know if saving $130 justifies getting his parts

Last edited: